• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Plating M54 in Broward County. Florida

strosfla

Trying to plate my M54. Looking for a lil advice from anybody in Florida(Broward County specifically). Had the DMV come out and give me an vehicle ID verification ... so far so good. Gieco insurance all paid up...good again. Went to DMV (have to deal with the private agency here in Florida). Title is from Texas, so this wonderful individual immediately went into a downward spiral, then threw in the military truck and all the blood ran from her head ! Title shows #19800 'weight' and 'MFG capacity in tons' as 5. Not good enough for them to figure the GVW. I suggested 19800 + 10000 = #29800. Florida charges exponentionally over #10000. Fine I knew they were going to stick it to me, but this blank faced individual told me I had to drive my truck (without a plate) to a weight station and get it weighed, then come back. Of course she couldn't tell me where to go...... I knew where I wanted to tell her to go......:evil: I'm a Firefighter/Paramedic and asked a State Trooper where to go....he gave me the shrugged shoulder answer.
So if anybody can tell me how they plated their truck in Florida, I would appreciate it. I have a clear Texas title and all other documentation I need.
Thanks

papercu

http://www.bigrigjobs.com/Truck-Scales/Florida.html
Most public officials won't tell you a name of business to use, they could lose their job.
What would your boss say if you recommended one doctor over the other while you were on the job? Wayne

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What do you plan on doing with the truck? Will it be commercial? You can pick the weight tag you want, just don't get caught exceeding it. I'm sure there are still county tax collectors in Broward County. Specifically what part of Broward County do you live in? You can also go to Palm Beach county to get tags, not restricted to Broward. There are a couple of scales at Port Everglades just need to see if I can get you on one. I had 15,000# plates on my deuce tractor, it only weighed 12,560#. They allowed me to pick the weight I wanted. I can probably get you going in the right direction, just need more details.

strosfla

Just restoring the truck, not commercial. Probably taking it to some outdoor country concerts showing her off, maybe a Dolphin game or two, weekend excursions or rally's now and then. Actually volunteered for hurricane relief if there is a need due to flooding. I live in Fort Lauderdale, actually just up the road from the Port. I think my major problem was the titling agency I was using. Just picked it out because it was next to where I get my hair cut. So I thought I might try another agency. Also plated my 94 Silverado 4x at the same time I tried my M54. Went weak in the knees when she told me $284. What a scam. The agancy didn't give me an option of what weight tag I wanted. The DMV suggested a trash dump also(got an incinerator plant across from my station.....) ?

Bill W

Gvw is different then net weight but if they want the net weight of the truck besides Pt Everglades there is a scale off Oaks road and 441 ( down by the incenerator), its a privately owned trucking company but its scale is certified. I just can't for the life of me remember the company name but I believe they are on the corner of Oakes rd and sw 46th ave or the next corner west of 46th ( you can see the scale from Oakes).I weighed my trailer there cost around $15

Last edited:

strosfla

.....OK just got off the phone with the County Tax Collector's......... Just figured out what a putz I can be :oops: Wonderfully informative session there educated me to the scam of private titling agencies here in Florida. Basically I paid an extra $100 in 'fees' at this wonderful free enterprise business. Got me once, but now I'm armed with a lil education, so their lil scam only stung me once and I'm on a mission now to educate anyone that will listen on avoiding them. So Recovery you were 100% correct. She told me to bring my arsenal of paperwork and declare a GVW ( I'm gonna add the #10000 to cover my behind....) ..... pay the state about $365 ( fees + 6% sales tax) and I'm good till December '09 ( trucks 0ver #5000 renewal month). Done with the BS and Legal......:-D........ now on to more pleasant experiences with the new road warrior and dress up the boy with the Super Singles I've had waiting for a month now.............. BTW looking for (2) rims(don't shoot me-I know wrong thread).......... Thanks for all the immediate help tho.....you guys really are the Shizzznits here ...........:!:

Last edited:

strosfla

........Bill........Karma swirling round you right now....... My station ( DFR 104) is located on Oakes and 441.......... I know the exact place you're talking about....... actually put out a vehicle fire there 2 shifts ago....... saw the scale, didn't even register. Wow funny....small world..... if you're ever in the area again stop by the station ( the big airplane hanger looking building as you exit back towards the north off 441). Hell you might even see the Double Duece sitting out front. :idea:.....pic opportunity>> E104 and DD << nice
Anyway thanks for the heads up
Rich

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good deal my friend. You can also register it as a former military vehicle. Read statute 320.086 at this link. Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes :->2008->Ch0320->Section 086 : Online Sunshine
There are some limitations but one of them is public display. I publicly display my trucks at the grocery store, fast food joints, kids school and anywhere else I go. It's a flat fee (around $30 ) and never expires. The tag agencies sometimes gets confused with this though. It took me over an hour to do my last one. There is supposed to be code to enter and they don't have it. The code they have been using on mine is FT (for Fire Truck). That is how i register my junk. Take a copy of the statute with you as they are not too good at finding it. I had my statute book from work under my arm.

strosfla

....... my knowledge stream is flowing !!! U guys really know ur stuff...... I think I'm gonna enjoy being part of the family:-D.....BTW found the statute......printed and added to the arsenal.... thanks again................

Last edited:

chill63

Good deal my friend. You can also register it as a former military vehicle. Read statute 320.086 at this link. Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes :->2008->Ch0320->Section 086 : Online Sunshine
There are some limitations but one of them is public display. I publicly display my trucks at the grocery store, fast food joints, kids school and anywhere else I go. It's a flat fee (around $30 ) and never expires. The tag agencies sometimes gets confused with this though. It took me over an hour to do my last one. There is supposed to be code to enter and they don't have it. The code they have been using on mine is FT (for Fire Truck). That is how i register my junk. Take a copy of the statute with you as they are not too good at finding it. I had my statute book from work under my arm.

It took me three trips to the local DMV to find the "right" person to give me an antique tag for my first deuce. He had to do the Fire Truck trick on mine also. For some reason the FT code was the only one available to him.

The other people were telling me I had to go through Tallahassee to get the antique tag, etc. One even questioned me on whether or not it really was a former military vehicle. I told her to take a look out the front window....

Subsequent research has determined that I may really need to go through Tallahassee for my next tag... SS Member Lavarok found this form online:

http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/BTR/83045.pdf

BEASTMASTER

i'd look for some moving company or some gravel place ,or evev some junk yard. most of them have scales. but driving without it reg. you might get nabbed and it will be towed, and expensive. the only way yuo can drive it is with a repair plate or dealer plate ,if you can pay someone to get it to the scale. good luck

vinny-socom1

strosfla, did you figure out how to plate your truck? I have the form you can fill out and send to Tallahassee direct for $29.00 antique tag and it never expires!! let me know I email it or fax it to ya. Took about a week to get my tag on my 5tons!!

Vinny

strosfla

Vinny..... actually can't plate mine as 'Antique' when they refurbed it they also titled it as a 1994.... so not old enough according to the title. I did plate it at the County Assessor office........ $320.00 down and legal now.......so I'm insured and legal ....next is Replacing the bed with a @ 2 & 1/2 T, shortening the frame and Super singles.....just short (2) HEMTT rims for the front and I'm in MOD land...... had a line on them in Ft. Pierce, but he's avoiding my calls now, so I think that's a bust..... but on to another possibility around Tampa....see where that goes...... trying to avoid the $300+ shipping from outside Florida......anyway thanks for the info....

vinny-socom1

sorry to here that but I'm glad you were able to get it done. pm or email me I have a set of 4 5ton super single rims for sale. They are still on one of my trucks so I have not posted an add yet.

Vinny
352-258-1393cell

wheelspin

Ok here we go. so it don't matter if the truck is new as long as it is a retired M.V. it qualifies for a permanent tag here if Florida. you just need to read, and bring all your ducks with you. your local tag office can and will issue your tag on the spot if you know what you need. they don't deal with them enough to get it right on their own so bring a printed copy of the Fire truck clause, it will cover your M.V. on it. you get a blue tag that looks just like the Antique plates and to stay legal take it to a Friday night car show put it in the 4 of July parade.. it fun too.

lavarok

Ok here we go. so it don't matter if the truck is new as long as it is a retired M.V. it qualifies for a permanent tag here if Florida. you just need to read, and bring all your ducks with you.
Please educate us here; I read the statute and it clearly defines an age limit of at least 30 years old. If any MV can be titled as an "Antique" in FL regardless of age, then I am going to apply for new plates on my M1009s and M1010!

Vinny - your app sent to Tallahassee only took a week? I sent mine on 5/18/09 and I am still waiting for my plate. They did cash my check, so I keep expecting it to arrive any day now. I am going to try going down to the local office for my next one. At least when they pull my information up in the computer, they will have one example of how it should be entered.