• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

playing catchup

tx399999

I have slowly been collecting parts, so I decided to clear out my garage and put them on the truck. I got a spring seat for my wife and found that the Trailmax seats for Jeeps fit great with a small amount of modification, and the ride is a huge improvement compared to what it was. The camo cover I got to replace the tan one went on along with the fiberglass troop seats, and I got a bike lock for my jerry can so I don't have to worry about it on the truck.

To anyone who is curious about the electric wipers, I highly recommend them. I got the kit on quickly, along with the washer kit, and it's a huge improvement to the air wipers. While I had the instrument cluster out I also installed the LED light strip around the gauges.

The bed box went in with a creative thinking. I didn't want to drill into my bed so I bolted some studs into the access panel and mounted the box to that. I finally have a place to secure my extra fluids and recovery equipment.

It's been a long few days but it's great to sit down and realize I'm out of projects and start a new list of things to do to the truck.

Attachments

ARYankee

Great post!!! Love the mods. I really like the one you did for the instrument cluster. My lighting is real dim and I have a really difficult time seeing my gauges at night, now I know a fix :) I also like the bed box and how you mounted it as well. I've been wanting a storage box for mine but I haven't quite made my mind up of exactly what kind and size.

tx399999

Those LEDs actually worked out so well, I pulled out the bulbs. I'll probably end up using the bulb mounts for indicators. One will be for low air pressure, but I haven't decided for the other.

tx399999

I found the link for the LEDs if anyone wants it. Single Color LED Light Strips

ARYankee, selecting the bed box was easy for me, a buddy of mine had it laying in the back of his garage. It did turn out to be a perfect size 36"wide x 15" tall x 17"deep. The top is almost even with the bed rail, and I have enough room to mount a jerry can to each side and still fold down the troop seats.
http://www.pilotlights.net/pilot_light_ecommerce_003.htm

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The seats look great, please tell me more. Where did you get them, how much do they sell for, what slight mods were needed to install them. Do they have adjustable, or decent lumbar support?

tx399999

I got the seats from JC Whitney. They're listed under Jeep seats as Trailmax II. Trailmax II Standard High-Back Vinyl Fixed Front Seats - JCWhitney I also replaced the seat shocks with Monroe 66104. The mounts for the seats were a few inches too wide on each side, but two lengths of 2" bar stock were all that was needed to mount it to the tracks on the spring base. The seat backs are fixed, and leaned back far enough that they would only go in with the tracks slid all the way forward. All you need to do is pull the rear bolts and tilt the seat to where you want and drill a new hole. I just put the bolts in loosely then tilted the seat back to rest on them and torqued the bolts down. This left just enough clearance between the seat back and rear of the cab with the seat slid all the way back. This does leave it fixed where it is, but just set it to where you want it. I also thought about lowering the stops on the spring base to lean the seat back more, but I am happy with where it's at. Without lowering it seats a little higher under the steering wheel, but I'm 5'10" and 180 so it still fits me fine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks