• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Playing detective on bumpers.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine are plain as day on the front of my first Deuce.

278th

Howitzer Maint Group

:)

Or are you just looking to remove them?

vtdeucedriver

Looking for a good technique on finding numbers. My M54A1 was a depot rebuild in Taiwan in 1974 after having served in Vietnam. I am hoping that maybe I can find some evidence of it's time there.
The interior and eng compartment are still semi gloss and this one has very little paint. I am hoping to remove the forrestry yellow and go from there.
Using paint stripper and pending on quality of paint, with a quick apply you sometimes can soften a layer and peel it but thats hit or miss. At this point, I am going to try my luck at some wet sanding when it gets warmer.

Fishtail

Do not use stripper. You can't regulate how much it will remove at one particular area or the next. I have used 600 grit wet sandpaper and water to get hood and bumper numbers in the past. When you find a line or circle of a number, mark it with a sharpie so you don't lose it. Use direct sunlight if available, or bright shop lights.

You just need lotsa patience.

001.jpg

Scott

vtdeucedriver

Do not use stripper. You can't regulate how much it will remove at one particular area or the next. I have used 600 grit wet sandpaper and water to get hood and bumper numbers in the past. When you find a line or circle of a number, mark it with a sharpie so you don't lose it. Use direct sunlight if available, or bright shop lights.

You just need lotsa patience.

View attachment 415546

Scott
You actually can but like I said in my post, its hit or miss. It really depends on the type of paint verses the stripper and as soon as it really starts to bubble, wipe it away. I was working on a C-47 Dakota and we slowly put the paint stripper to it to the point where you could make out the crown and the RAF roundel on the fuselage.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks