• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Please don’t say head gasket…

DaneGer21

I have only driven the truck that one time after rebuilding all (6) injectors. I couldn’t tell much as for power differences/drivability. I AM still getting that black’ish sticky residue near the #6 exhaust manifold/port.

I have since acquired tools for compression checking. So that will be on the list also. That should give a better indication…sorry we have been busy with vacations, gardening, and just farm maintenance.

The deuce has sat because; it got two flat tires from last trip, and frankly after really inspecting all the tires, a few other have some minor/major side wall cracking/dry rot…unfortunately. So it may be awhile unless I score a great deal on a few replacements. I wanna be able to drive it, but as a hobby, it’s not a NEED right now.

I have some piece, parts, body panels, etc, that I’ve collected so I may tear into some of that stuff too while there isn’t a rush to get things done. Body stuff isn’t new, just “better” then my current. I guess you could say this is a budget build to keep it alive; but not show quality, or resto by any means…

Computerdoc08

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone know if the NOS Cylinder heads PN 11682597 ive seen in stock at some online dealers will work to swap during a head gasket replacement? They are noted as "new style" multifuel cylinder heads.

DaneGer21

Since we are a nosy bunch - any updates @DaneGer21
I checked the torque after making a tool; all seemed to be good there. It seems to still seep some oil from the back area. Coolant is not dropping, and the power still seems to be there. I have everything ready to check compression; so maybe some day I’ll get around to that; as a just in case

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone know if the NOS Cylinder heads PN 11682597 ive seen in stock at some online dealers will work to swap during a head gasket replacement? They are noted as "new style" multifuel cylinder heads.
I replaced my cylinder heads with NOS during my rebuild due to cracking and the machine shop being unenthusiastic about fixing them; I ordered the heads from TNJ Murray. What showed up in original brown foam filled boxes were late 1990' castings, complete with valve train, ready to mount and they have been working fine.

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't know but I found this while looking for other items. Never bought from them.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't know but I found this while looking for other items. Never bought from them.
They sure LOOK the part and the pictures do get me excited (and I do not need more cylinder heads in my life!). The price is about a quarter of what I paid for mine. I am not sure you can lose on that gamble; I know what I would do (and then have them checked/shaved at the machine shop if needed).

Computerdoc08

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ive bought items from the eBay seller Augusta Engine in the past and they are GTG. If you direct message them they will sometimes lower their price and send you an offer.

The part number on their cylinder head seems good, its different than the old syle head which I think had different valve springs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks