• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Please help me decide. M1028 with auto or 3spd granny?

tbrent

Hello gang. Pretty new to the CUCV world. Going to buy my first M1028. Having a hard time deciding. Maybe you can be of assistance.

1. Stock 86 M1028 clean with under 20k miles. $4500

Vs

Mod 84 M1028 with unknown 3 spd granny installed and lift, had floor pan replaced, aftermarket ac with 45k miles for $5k

Im looking to build this. For BOV and also some occasional mudding, trail and camping.

Any input would be great.

military-expedition-rigs-pirate4x4-com-4x4-and-off-road-forum-vehicles-carzz_454187 (1).jpg

MarcusOReallyus

Welcome! :beer:

The first thing that comes to mind is, that 4:56 rear end is already pretty low. I'm thinking a granny first out of the trans might just be a bit TOO low. Do you know the numbers on that trans?

The second thing that comes to mind is a quick heads up: "BOV" is a topic that is not welcome here, along with SHTF, zombie apocalypse, EMP, and similar trains of thought.

The third thing that comes to mind is, air conditioning? What are you? A man or a mouse? :mrgreen:

Okay, back on a serious note, the stock beast is a known quantity (as much as a used vehicle can be). The modded vehicle? Uh, dunno. Did the guy know what he was doing? Or is it hacked up?

Questions, questions....

tbrent

Thanks for the fast reply. stock has been my gut feeling. Its pretty dang clean. Great canvas.

Thanks!
From Florida, Mouse Heaven:)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drive both if possible. The trans in the stick truck is likely an SM465. I have all the parts including a ranger torque splitter to do one of my trucks. I'm looking forward to shaking hands with a shifter again.

cucvrus

My opinion if it matters. Automatic. It is nice to just sit back and drive. Less things to do while driving. I am getting older and don't like to be uncomfortable while I am driving. You ask for opinions. And off road and plowing my automatics have always held up better and less fatigue to the driver. I used to be the opisite at one time. But I have learned over the years. Put it in Drive and the automatic transmission takes care of it's self. Service it once a year and it seems to last indefinitely.

Lebowski

I like both, but in the end prefer auto. I don't have to worry about the clutch if a family member uses my truck. No loss of momentum in mud/snow as the auto always keeps power flowing even in gear changes. I did install a Trans Go shift kit TH400: Summit Racing Part Number:TRG-400-1-2. It allows you to manually upshift/downshift at any rpm, and stay in any gear regardless of rpm.

2deuce

When I was younger I would have said manual, but now that I'm wiser(lol), I say auto.

I like the stick for better control off road, but auto is a big plus with today's traffic. So bottom line is, with all other things equal with condition of the trucks I would go auto for primarily highway usage. Good luck

CUCVLOVER

For just out and about rocking up and down the block a auto is best.
I have an old jeep I use off road (more like abuse) and it has a 3 spd manual, it is ok for just idling around the hills and hollers. But in the mud you better pick a high gear because you will wind out in a low gear. That's any vehicle though.

I take it the pic is of the 84 ?
If so I think it would be a great camping rig. You could sleep in the back.
But that is just my opinion and results, millage, and performance may very.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks