• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Please help the new guy!

TC1

:lost:

I've been looking around the site for awhile and it has proved to be an excellent source of information about the M1009 CUCV I picked up about 2 years ago. My 1st diesel, so far it's been a pretty smooth learning process until last week.
I was having trouble starting my Blazer, thought the starter was bad, nope still good. I have since replaced the starter relay, glow plug relay, ignition switch. Batteries are good and the starter tested OK. Here is what it is doing now. When I try to start it the volt goes up to it's usual spot and then starts to drop like a rock and at the same time I get a buzzing type noise under the dash and from the glow plug relay. Could it be the glow plug card under the dash making the noise? Or one of the other many relays under the dash? The voltage drop has me thinking it's a short in the system somewhere. I'm not an electical guy, aua but am pretty handy when it comes to working on cars/trucks or whatever. I've looked around the site and have not found this problem.
Any ideas on this problem will be helpful.
Thanks in advance!

rnd-motorsports

Have you had the batterys load tested or just checked with a volt meter? the Volts drop off when you try to crank ? sounds like a bad battery have them load tested to start with. if you just turn key on volt gauge is norm then when you crank it drop's is that what you are getting? if so load test the batterys. then let us know!

TC1

This is why I came to you guys!

The noise is more of a buzzing type.

As for load testing the batteries, is that something I can do with a volt meter or do I need to take them to Advance and have them tested? It may sound silly, but I did say I'm not an electircal guy.

Big Big thanks for the help!

rnd-motorsports

You need a battery load tester to check them advance will do it for you at least here they will free! A battery can show 12 volt on a gauge and still be bad! let us know I will bet a battery is bad!

TC1

Both batteries will be at Advance tomorrow, will let you know what they say. I hope that solves the problem. I'm getting tired of driving my wife's little eco-box!

I've already looked at the relay conversions and plan to make some changes once I get it running again. I figured it would be best to save the upgrades until I got the basics working.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
On the firewall, on the passenger side there are 2 terminal blocks covered by white covers where all the battery connections are routed to, disconnect the batteries and then remove the covers, check all the connections on these 2 terminal blocks. I just experienced this problem on my 1009, and it was the ground connection for the 12 volt side of the electrical system, it was slightly loose.

Last edited:

paradeduty

GREAT POST FMJ - just thought I would "pat you on the back" - nice and short and to the point. Great directions/instructions and good caution tip for the "guy who is not an electrical guy". Even if this is not the cause of his problem, a lot of people will be checking out their "battery junction boxes" now! But I'll bet this is exactly what he needed to hear. Good job.

TC1

Everybody, thanks for the help! It was the batteries! Plenty of volts, but the guy at Advance was amazed at exactly how low it tested, said it probably wouldn't start a lawn mower. I really wish I had them tested before I replaced 2 relays, ignition switch and the starter. I was just looking at volts.
I do have a CD with all the TMs and they've helped with alot of jobs I've done on this Blazer, but not so much with this problem. The info I've found on this site has been way more useful.
Now it's time to start looking at some of the mods/upgrades!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do have a CD with all the TMs and they've helped with alot of jobs I've done on this Blazer, but not so much with this problem. The info I've found on this site has been way more useful.
Glad you got your issue resolved.

Actually the Tech Manual does address your issue.

At the very first of the Troubleshooting section it states:

"c. When troubleshooting a malfunction, (1) Ensure that both batteries are fully charged".

This includes charging and load testing.

The three best tools you can buy are:

Voltmeter - ~$10
Carbon Pile Load Tester - ~$30 at Harbor Frieght
Battery Charger - ~$50