• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Please let me know what you think.

M54a2weasel

I have decided I want my truck to go faster. Has anybody herd of somebody bobbing one of these trucks and then running a 454ci motor backed with a turbo 400 and a transfer case? I would like to drive my truck every day but I need it to be a little more driver friendly. I was also thinking of putting an air to air cooler on the turbo and then upping the fuel pump... any thoughts? Also I am getting some mixed reposes to how much faster a set of 50 inch tires will make this truck go, one guy told me it would just up it several mph and another guy told me it would do 65mph all day no problemß-- he was also the guy selling the tires. What about the 56inch tires does anybody like the way they run and do they make you go 65mph?

Thank you for all your help.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

It's your truck and you can do with it what you will......that being said 5 tons are "gear bound"......all the HP in the world will not give you anymore top end with stock driveline and tires.

As for dropping in that big block gas burner and an automatic......same issue...gearing.

You will still have a slow truck and a high fuel bill.

Taller tires will give you more top end but at a bottom end cost......you need torque to get those big wheels and tires rolling and keep them rolling.......especially up a grade......the gas burner will not have that torque...that is why the military went to the multi-fuel and then the 250 Cummins in the 5 tons.

Another issue is brakes......the faster you are going the longer it is going to take those 40 or so year old brakes to stop you......this is a single chamber master cylinder (unless it's been upgraded) so no brake fluid.....no brakes.

If you get into an accident with a highly modified vehicle be prepared to defend yourself in court against some bottom feeding trial lawyer. Unless your insurance company knows about and covers the mods they will drop you like a hot rock. They have lawyers just to look for loopholes so they don't have to pay out.

Again....your truck...your money.

Broke Down

if you do anything stick with a diesel, a vehicle that size needs torque, not hp. you are going from a larger engine (by size) and putting a much smaller high hp engine in it, this will only bog it. think of it like this, i can take a cummins 6BT and get an easy 600hp out of it, the size is substantially smaller then an 18 wheeler Detroit or Cummins but makes the same hp. if the 6BT was lighter and made the same hp you would think same thing...right? no sir, the rotating mass in a larger engine will produce more torque that you need and keep the torque there due to the fact of the rotating assembly. kinda like stopping a freight train but with torque :beer: hope that helps

Heavysteven

I would be worried about stoping more than getting to 65 mph. These truck were not built for speed.2cents

Any thoughts on bobbing a duece and putting larger tires on it?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks