• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Please recommend a transfer switch

ZiggyO

Steel Soldiers Supporter

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Amp rating of her service?
She probably has 200 amp service. But the MEP802 obviously can't run all of that.

Her furnace and water heater are gas. She's concerned about running the lights, the refrigerator, the furnace, and whatever other trivialities can be supported by the 802. We're going to go through her breaker box next time we're there and label the ones to be turned on when she's on genset power.

I'm going to put a 24v trickle charger on the 802, and i should be able to PM it a couple times a year.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
She probably has 200 amp service. But the MEP802 obviously can't run all of that.
A transfer switch has to be sized no less than the rated amperage of the utility service .. It doesn't matter if the draw on the genny and genny size is less.. In most cases you will have to get the utility involved to pull the meter unless you are a service tech with your own meter seals issued by a utility, as I had been until retirement.. In some places there is no jurisdiction for residential services other than to let them know you need to pull the meter and they come out to reseal it.. Many jurisdictions require inspection of the install before the meter is put back in the can or otherwise service re-engergized. If you are lucky there might be a disconnect situated at the load side of the meter or integral with it, thus you could do the work undetected, but I didn't say that. ;)

An alternative to messing with the service itself is a "Gentran" box. They are less-expensive than a 200A nema3 (outdoor) xfer switch , indoor-rated, and easy to install/use. However, a customer is restricted to the low number of circuits powered by the genny through these boxes and loses the ability to have power in every room. Last I recall, they did not make them larger than 12-circuit and 50-amp, and of course, most water pumps take up two of those right off the bat..

If someone needs flexibilty for the entire house (not everything running at same time of course) , they are better off with a xfer switch in the main service .. My favorites were 1980's-90's vintage Cutler-Hammer as well as Bryant-brand transfers, rugged and having a high-current fault service rating that exceeded all inspection and utility requirements. I had 5 different utilities to deal with in three states, their requirements weren't 100% the same

Last edited:

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does she have open breaker positions in her box? You could go even lower tech (but just as safe) and move the top RH (2) breakers and put a simple interlock kit in place. They make specific models, for specific breaker panels. They are low tech, and work perfectly every time (and are very easy to install).

All you do to use them is flip the main OFF, then slide up a little metal bar (which was blocking the top two breakers from moving) and engage those top two breakers. The bar will prohibit the movement of the main switch. Once you shut the genset breaker set off, the metal bar will drop, and you can reengage the main upon utility return.

Here is a representative example: https://www.amazon.com/Generator-Interlock-Siemens-Panel-Murray/dp/B08Y78NVTH

That is not a UL listed product, but a more reputable place like https://interlockkit.com would have UL and NEC approved items. All just comes down to knowing what panel she has.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does she have open breaker positions in her box? You could go even lower tech (but just as safe) and move the top RH (2) breakers and put a simple interlock kit in place. They make specific models, for specific breaker panels. They are low tech, and work perfectly every time (and are very easy to install).

All you do to use them is flip the main OFF, then slide up a little metal bar (which was blocking the top two breakers from moving) and engage those top two breakers. The bar will prohibit the movement of the main switch. Once you shut the genset breaker set off, the metal bar will drop, and you can reengage the main upon utility return.

Here is a representative example: https://www.amazon.com/Generator-Interlock-Siemens-Panel-Murray/dp/B08Y78NVTH

That is not a UL listed product, but a more reputable place like https://interlockkit.com would have UL and NEC approved items. All just comes down to knowing what panel she has.
That sounds like the ideal solution. I'll get a look at her panel and see what we're dealing with.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is what I'm working with. Presumably I can move a couple of breakers from the upper position to a lower position and use an interlock like LITD linked.

I'm obviously not an electrician, but I'm not clueless. I've wired in L14-50R welder access in the past, and I know enough to make sure that nothing is energized before I touch it.

I know enough not to make a suicide male/male cable, which is more than can be said for some...

Attachments

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is what I'm working with. Presumably I can move a couple of breakers from the upper position to a lower position and use an interlock like LITD linked.

I'm obviously not an electrician, but I'm not clueless. I've wired in L14-50R welder access in the past, and I know enough to make sure that nothing is energized before I touch it.

I know enough not to make a suicide male/male cable, which is more than can be said for some...
I assume the make and model is on the label on the door?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks