• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Plow truck progress

Goinmxn

Oh yeah, the hydraulics are only for the spreader, the plows have dedicated 12v pumps located in the pass side tool box, nice and out of the weather!!!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What truck model and or engine?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, this is why we tell members to continue one thread, rather than start multiple threads.

I'll merge these now.

Goinmxn

I have done a lot of searching and found many setups where a alternator has been added with a piggybacked pulley and extra belt. My trucks are M931a2s with the 6CTA 8.3L motors. I would like to use one continuous serpentine but I can't find anyone who has done it and where I would find the belt (longer one).

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some belt part numbers are easy to read. Such as Napa has belts like 4L56... where the last two digits represent the belt length and the 4L represents the belt width. I wonder if serpentine belts have a similar format. It is something to look into.

Goinmxn

Ok, I worked on it today and think I have it figured out. I cut a piece of 5" x 1/2" flat stock to 9" and drilled holes to match the alternator bracket and the pump bracket. I wasn't able to mount it tonight, I'll do it in the morning then work on getting the belt length. Actually worked out better than I had thought and went quickly for once. I started getting the fittings figured out for the hydraulics. That's complicated in itself, and a little pricey. I've included pictures of the bumper mounts for the plow. What you cant see is the 1/2" plate behind the bumper that I reinforced the bumper with and ran the ears through the bumper to the plate then welded the ears to the bumper as well. Basically I welded the ears to the plate, plasma cut the bumper to allow the ears to protrude through the bumper, welded the plate to the back of the bumper then welded the ears to the front of the bumper where they protruded through. Any questions, let me know!
20141204_115324_zpswizbhvfz.jpg20141204_115347_zpszbpmvlic.jpg
The pump for the spreader:
20141204_160906_zpsueuaymab.jpg
The plate mocked up:
20141204_163112_zpsxootmhsb.jpg
The pump how I want it to sit to get holes in proper spots:
20141204_163956_zpstcaayu8w.jpg
20141204_163946_zpsjwdhk0ts.jpg
The plate with holes drilled in proper places:
20141204_173145_zps3wtginr8.jpg

Goinmxn

I was able to get the bracket for the pump done today and will have the right size belt on tomorrow. I used a length of wire to get the belt length and went to my local Fisher Auto parts and they had me hooked up in a couple minutes with the belt on the way for tomorrow. Very pleased how quickly this went. I will be wiring up the switch and plumbing the tank tomorrow. I will hopefully have the spreader running by Monday or Tuesday. This is a very easy mod and could be applied to an ac compressor, 2nd alternator or anything belt driven for that matter.
These pictures show the belt fully routed. This belt is about 1.5" longer than needed.
20141205_163135_zpshm7sqqxe.jpg20141205_163149_zpsk4f45tno.jpg20141205_163123_zpsluyaichh.jpg

aheilmann68

What flowrate and pressures will you get out of that pump? What hp is possible going this route vs off the trans or were you unable to get figures from cummins. I was debating this but seeing that the belts are good for about 30hp of power transmission I opted to go on the transfer case. I am interested how you make out regardless.

Artisan

Goinmxn I need the DETAILS on the hyd pump you want to hang
for a dual alt type of system. Give me everything. I have a VERY
knowledgeable gent attempting to find/pull down intel for "us"
Send me all the details soon on that pump bro... Pictures
will help too.

Goinmxn

Ok, good and bad news. Good news, belt is on and working perfectly and we have a belt that is common (6.4 ford diesel belt). The bad news is the tensioner is not in an ideal situation, the angle is wrong for it to work the way it should. I had to drill a second hole in the alternator bracket and lower it closer to the motor to make the belt work. Then to get the belt on I had to loosen and work it over the hydro pump. With the belt routed the way it is, the tensioner is not angled to work properly. You can't get the belt off just by taking tension out of the tensioner. When done the tension is perfect on the belt and the pump works flawlessly. Just a little more work than I wanted to change belts. I'm sure I can come up with a better solution for the tensioner, but I have to move on to other things on the truck right now to finish it, and it does work. The pump is a parker 17gpm @ 1800rpm pump with the factory bracket. I'm not sure of the pressure, but it the same setup as vdot trucks with similar motors, they even run the plow with this setup. I'll get better specs on the pump from my paperwork.

Goinmxn

Hydraulic sander done!!!

Number 2 is done! I finished the hydraulic lines today and it works perfectly. Cool thing I added was 2 quick disconnect flat face couplers allow it to easily be removed. We ran 2 yards of heavy wet sand through it and it worked flawlessly with fluid temperature staying at about 70 degrees on a 50 degree day. I could not be happier.
I only snapped one picture, I'll get some more tomorrow. I still need to tie the lines down and fab a couple heat shields, but that is easy stuff. My valve for the spinner and drag chain are located on the rear of the sander so I just have to hit one toggle in the cab to activate the pump clutch. This makes for no audible pump or line noise in the cab. VDOT wants the valves outside so they can quickly and easily regulate the amount of material we spread.

Attachments

Last edited:

Goinmxn

I am going to scuff and paint the hydro tank and fittings olive drab to protect from corrosion and make it match a little more, silly I know, but I love the way these trucks look. Cool thing about painting these trucks I can get all sloppy and get runs, so it will match the rest of the truck. I mounted a full size tool box to the drivers side of the hydro tank and I use a etching primer then shot it in olive drab.... maybe I do go a little far on details, It makes me happy:) I also replaced all the pins on the front with L9 hardware that is tighter than the pins to help prevent wallowing the mount holes. I enjoyed this enough I could build these for people and would love it. I have a good handle on what it takes now and could do it in about 1/2 the time it took the first go around.

Last edited:

buggyman

I would like to know the specs or number of the belt you ended up using. I'm planning on using this type of setup for some hyd acc on my 923A2. Thanks, Paul
Ok, good and bad news. Good news, belt is on and working perfectly and we have a belt that is common (6.4 ford diesel belt).

justin572

I've been out plowing and fixing for the last few weeks - mostly fixing... Anyway, here's a late thanks for the great pictures of your mount. That is one very nice looking rig you have. I plow part of the army base here; I bet some jaws would hit the floor if I showed up with that thing to plow.

Why did you go with a separate pump for your plows, rather than putting in an electric valve and going of your newly installed central hydraulic system?

Goinmxn

Thanks Justin! I went with two separate systems just in case I had problems with the sander's hydraulics it wouldn't take out the plow. During bigger storms we are pushing snow 90% of the time and the plow runs off a very simple 12v dump trailer style pump. Its easy to find parts and fix if necessary. I even have an entire spare motor I can carry. Also, one of the trucks has a pony motor so using its hydraulics was not an option and I wanted to keep the plow systems the same on both trucks.
Buggyman, I'll have the belt part number for you by this afternoon.

Goinmxn

I did a little more tweaking last week. I lowered the plow mounts to get a better A frame angle for better road cleaning. Worked out great. These trucks are making great plow trucks!!! I have logged over 100hrs and look forward to hopping in every time we go!!! Still working on creature comforts inside that I will show in detail once I'm finished. We spend a lot of time on standby with VDOT and it can be boring for 20 plus hours sitting in one spot when all you have is a radio....not in my trucks!!! Details to come. Here are some pictures to show mount lowering.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks