• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Plug / Grommet Hole

pbrstreetgang

Looking for plug or grommet that goes in the hole on the rear top of a M1009 CUCV. I would also be interested in descriptions and pictures of any "fixes" for this that any members might have. I am getting a bad leak through that whole. Me I don't care, but my little girl, not too happy when it rains.

HAWKMAN

Maybe try hardware store for capplugs, an assortment wouldn't cost a lot and they seal pretty tight...a dab of RTV and your set.2cents

Warren Lovell

I just missed an ebay auction for 4 of those grommets. They went for $40.00!

I used a rubber plug that was designed to plug holes (Bilge plug?). It was a little too big for the hole so I took a flat file to the rubber and made it fit. Rubber files pretty easy.

The rubber plug has two metal washers, one on each side of the rubber, with a carriage bolt going thru the center. Tighten the nut and the rubber expands to creat a water proof seal. It works great and you don't have to put silicon sealant in the center hole like you do with the stock grommets.

I got it at a place called Marshalls Industrial hardware
Home of Marshall's Industrial Hardware, Inc. - We have it!

HAWKMAN

Well...just a thought on the cap-plugs if you want the correct plug I have three available, PM me if interested. Really!!??....$10.00ea on E-pay???

Last edited:

aaron1009

I spent a couple bucks on some rubber seals at Advance Auto. If my memory serves me, they were generic "Master Cylinder seals." I ran some weather stripping epoxy around the outside and stuck it in. Works like a charm! Doesn't match the other side but it keeps the water out. Just tell someone who works there what you're trying to do and they might be some help.

If I think of it I'll take some pics when I get home in the morning.

NMC_EXP

Looking for plug or grommet that goes in the hole on the rear top of a M1009 CUCV. I would also be interested in descriptions and pictures of any "fixes" for this that any members might have. I am getting a bad leak through that whole. Me I don't care, but my little girl, not too happy when it rains.
I used a fender washer large enough to completely cover the hole and ran a bolt plus regular washers and lock washer thru the fender washer to the inside of the cab. Ran a bead of RTV silicone between the fender washer and body panel before tightening it down. No leaks so far. Paint it green and it would look like it belongs there.

Regards

Jim

rod

Bought a set of 4 off ebay a couple of years ago. (no I wasn't the one who paid $40, I think I paid $12 plus shipping) I used 2 of them and the other 2 are put up somewhere incase I ever need them.

Lawrence of Arabia

Rubber Plug

I bought a rubber shock mount from the "Help" rack at the Auto parts store. Works perfect if you want the antenna hole and not entirely plug the hole.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks