• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Plug size for 5 ton bell housing "fording plug"

troyken

Hello, we have an M813 5 ton at our volunteer F.D. We use it for high water storm work in both salt and fresh water. The "fording plug" seems to be missing from the bell housing. Does anyone know the size of that plug or bolt.? I suspect it has been gone since we got the truck, USAF surplus. No one seems to have ever used it to my knowledge. With hurricane season approaching, I'd like to get that part ready for use. I haven't found that info on the forums, here or elsewhere.

Thanks in advance.

Ken

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, NPT plug. Once you figure out what size it is, when it comes down to the time to use it, I’d put a mnpt mini ball valve in it for you application.

fasttruck

You are sure it is missing ? The plug is stowed on the bottom of the bell housing near the hole it is installed in. An infrequently used item they don't normally fall out. Pic of M35A2 showing fording plug in stowed position attached. If you get one I would coat it liberally with "never seize" to make sure it comes out when needed.

Attachments

troyken

You are sure it is missing ? The plug is stowed on the bottom of the bell housing near the hole it is installed in. An infrequently used item they don't normally fall out. Pic of M35A2 showing fording plug in stowed position attached. If you get one I would coat it liberally with "never seize" to make sure it comes out when needed.
It's funny.... When I looked this morning, there it was just as your picture shows. I have to get a 1/2" square drive wrench to keep in the tool kit to switch it when required ,or put the valve in as mentioned. The never seize is a good idea since it can be exposed to salt water. They drove it through water as high or higher than the door bottoms during Hurricane Sandy. We have a heavy duty lift gate installed on the rear to take on rescued people. I am expecting new windshield glass in the next few days and I'll install that on the drivers side. Then it will be pretty much "combat ready". I just mounted an axe and long handled pointed shovel on the cargo rack side behind the cab. I'll put a Halligan tool or crow bar back there too and maybe a pick /mattock.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks