• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Plumb MEP803a direct to an external tank - run 2 pumps?

k9medic

Some have followed my saga with my 803a in the Bahamas.

I ran a fuel line from my external 30 gallon barrel tank directly to the internal fuel pump in the 803a bypassing the internal tank. It seems to have some trouble lifting the fuel consistently. I believe the way the actual aux. fuel line works is that it pumps to the internal tank first and then the fuel pump runs off the internal tank - essentially the aux tank is always refilling the internal tank. I want to eliminate this step and go external to a larger tank.

Would it make sense to add a second fuel pump in line to aid in the lifting of the fuel before the first filter?

Here is the current set up:
30 gallon tank --> external fuel water separator --> generator mounted fuel pump --> internal filter --> engine.

Planned:
30 gallon tank --> external mounted fuel pump --> external fuel water separator --> generator mounted fuel pump --> internal filter --> engine.

Last edited:

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How far is the run from your tank now, and what is the grade difference from fuel level to the pump?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I am not sure what the lift spec is on the primary pump, but I do know they rate the aux pump as good for a 72" grade difference (and it very well might be the same pump, without looking at the TM). How many hours are on your machine? Its possible your pump is tired.

k9medic

Well I am not sure what the lift spec is on the primary pump, but I do know they rate the aux pump as good for a 72" grade difference (and it very well might be the same pump, without looking at the TM). How many hours are on your machine? Its possible your pump is tired.
I replaced the in internal pump a couple of months ago after I was having issues with it failing under load. It was a Airtex E8135 which shows a minimum 5.5 psi and a max of 9 psi with a 35 gph flow.

It will flow from the tank when not under load but there seems to be some issues when it's under a load. I just want to eliminate potentials.