• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PNW Info Thread!

REO 54

Hey PNW crew.I have some bad/sad news.

My wife Carole was involved in.....odd accident where a 16 to ferrocement sail boat rolled on it's side crushing her and my my uncle.

We were helping my uncle dig a channel in the tide flats where his boat got grounded at 2am Oct 5/12. Thats when low tide occured,so high tide came around in the morning around 8 or 9 am he could try to get to deeper water.

Well.unfotunately that did'nt happen.I was lucky enough to foward of the boat [under the bowsprit] when it happend.

First thing I did other than experinece shock/freak out was to to pull out my cell phone and dial 911 and set the phone down on the tide flats, then go to digging like a mad man.

I learned this little tip from my home defense instructor. I thank God I remebered that.

I was able to dig out Carole and my Uncle in about 15 minutes.....which felt like an enternity. Caroles spine was broken and my Uncle's hips were crushed.

My Uncle will have full recovery in about 6 months,Carole....we are not sure.She may be wheel chair bound for the rest of her life, or she may have a better recovery.

I just wanted to put this out there because S.S. and PNW crew are such good people
and friendship. I'm would be graetful for thoughts and prayers for Carole and my Uncle.

I hope the mod's think this is ok to put here rather than the Chaplin's thread because it's a local thing I thought. Heck I don't know.....I'm just glad it was'nt worse I still have my wife and Uncle.

Thanks, REO

jedawson1

Prayers from Tennessee, growing up in FL I have seen my share of boat accidents. Glad hear your positive thoughts, it could always be worse. Praying for a solid recovery for your wife and uncle.

jedawson1

FYI, had a friend compressed and fractured his spine and was paralyzed from the belly for about 1month. Then he slowly developed the ability to walk with a cane but he is still walking 10 years later. So don't give up, God is good.

Dear Father

I come before you in the name of your son Jesus the Christ.
I ask that you would be with Dave's wife Carole and his uncle. Touch their bodies with your mighty healing power. Give wisdom to the doctors. Give strength to Dave as he supports his family through this tragedy. I ask this in Jesus name

Amen

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dave,
We pray for Carole and your uncle and their compete and perfect recovery.
How can your SteelSoldiers family help you? (PM if you prefer)
If nothing else, please at least PM your contact info so that we can stay in touch. We know you have a lot on your plate and may not be able to check in here regularly.

Heavenly Father,
In the name of Your Son Jesus we claim perfect restoration for these of our extended family who have sustained injuries that are almost beyond our limited imaginations. You, oh Great Physician, know their wounds and we trust You for their miraculous care. We also ask that You focus the educated minds of their cargivers and guide their hands in the physical treatment rendered toward Your Divine plan. Give strength - both physical and spiritual - to all involved in this accident, surrounding them with legions of Your angels and covering them with the peace and comfort of the Holy Spirit.
In Jesus' name we pray.
AMEN.

Last edited:

REO 54

Thank you all for you kind posts. They help A LOT !

I don't want to dominate this tradgedy on this thread,but I just wanted to let our crew know.Carole enjoys my freindship and comardery with you all.

You can visit her and see updates and such at www.CaringBridge.org and log into
carolewallace ,that is her site.

Thank you Steel Soldiers. Dave

ps....I always get a lot of inspiration from reading that "Katrina story "thread.
That gut is awesome......as well as many others out there.

rattlecan6104

Dave,

Just a small little story to tell you.

About a year back, I was working on a K5 blazer. I had it supported on the frame by jack stands with the wheels off, however it wasn't sitting high enough to make room for the lift kit I was going to install. I got under it with a bottle jack raising it higher and readjusting the jack stands. I was laying forward of the front axle when the axle tube slipped off of the jack. The frame slammed into the jack stands, and it all rocked forward off the stands and fell. The passenger front disc brake landed on the inside section of my upper thigh. needless to say I was pinned.

I was the only person out there working on my truck, I screamed and yelled in pain and my sister in law (who happens to live with us) came out the front door, saw me under the truck and freaked out. I had to calm myself down so that I could calm her down and get her to function. I had her get my high lift jack, and set it in the center of the front bumper, however she still couldnt figure out how it works and as I was under the truck, I couldnt see what she was doing wrong. I lost faith in her and started to reach for and reset the bottle jack to lift the truck off myself. At that point a neighbor who heard the noise came along and jacked the truck up with my high lift jack. It definately felt like an eternity.

Once the truck was off of me I stood right up, then was told to lay back down, emergency services came and hauled me off to island hospital. Went through all the checks and found out I was very fortunate. I WALKED out of the hospital that night. To this day I have minor lingering issues, but all in all, I am good.

The reason I tell you this story is not for one-ups-manship nor for "fame." I tell you this so that you know that people do walk away from serious crushing injuries. I hope for your loved ones to be as fortunate as I was and you all are in my thoughts and prayers.

Olywadan

I'd like to make it but I need some help... I rebuilt my wheel cylinders, air pack, and master cylinder and bled the brakes because my brake pedal all of a sudden went really spongy. Replaced everything and bled the system and it feels exactly the same and now it sounds like I have a dragging brake. Also when I went to move the truck after replacing everyting it would not move with out some extra pedal and only after a loud clank. Kinda a a loss of what to do next and I think I met my mechanical expertice limit. Was wondering if someone could check out my truck one of these days and tell me/help me fix it. Greatly appreciate it.

Amram

Sounds like they need to be adjusted now. How did your springs look inside the brakes themselves? Did you check the pad thickness as well?
I actually pride myself in the fact I have adjusted and fixxed my brakes where they do not leak and my truck can stop pretty darn quick.

Last edited:

Olywadan

Springs seemed fine and their is plenty of pad left. Haven't looked into adjusting them yet. The pedal is really spongy and then gets super stiff. Trying to diagnose the problem sounds like everything needs to be rebuilt, again... I just want my truck to work. Tired of working on it all the time. Rabble rabble rabble.

Amer-team

Take a look at the rebuild airpack threads. If you have already done that, it still sounds like your air pack is not releasing all the way. If you hit the brakes and one locks, go to the back and crack an airline, I think the left side, if the brake releases, there is an airpack issue. I ran into that problem with my 5T. It is really not helpful when it locks up at the stop sign or stop light.
Keep us posted. Sorry I am booked this weekend.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks