• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PNW Info Thread!

ordkhntr

Thought I would jump in here and say Hi....
I'm just outside of Eugene, name is RJ
Just bought a M105A2 today, hoping to pick it up Monday at ft lewis. Should be a fun project getting it ready for camping and dog trials (more camping) next summer.

Welcome RJ. I am in Springfield, nice to have someone close by. Get that thing ready for camping by July so you can go to the PNW-2014-Sixth Annual Chehalis River Valley M/V Convoy & Campout. I missed this year because my truck broke down. But I'm going next year. Its a lot of fun!

buggyman

Hi guys, I'm Paul Kingsbury and live in Bend, OR.
I've got a 923A2 and lots of big boy toys too. I have a Fab and Repair shop also and would love sharing and talking.
Happy Trails!

ordkhntr

thanks everyone,
It should be great for camping. I have labs that I take to field trials and they take up the bed of the truck so now I will have a place for all the other stuff. :)

I started looking around and asking around and am beginning to wonder.......will I be able to tow this thing back home with my F150? Its suppose to weigh 2700lbs, and I have towed way more than that before. I have a pintle hitch and the magnetic mount trailer lights......am I missing something ????

goodguyzy

thanks everyone,
It should be great for camping. I have labs that I take to field trials and they take up the bed of the truck so now I will have a place for all the other stuff. :)

I started looking around and asking around and am beginning to wonder.......will I be able to tow this thing back home with my F150? Its suppose to weigh 2700lbs, and I have towed way more than that before. I have a pintle hitch and the magnetic mount trailer lights......am I missing something ????
You will tow it fine with a 1/2 ton.

ordkhntr

Looks like my recovery is delayed until Wednsday. I couldnt get through up at Ft Lewis to make an appointment for tomorrow. Oh well.......

ordkhntr

picking up a M105a2....tried calling and it never let me leave a vm. called GL and they were going to send an email asking them to call me. Its about 200 miles, dont want to chance just driving up and then not getting in......

manders

I'm scheduled to pick up a M923 within the next 3-5 days from Ft. Lewis and I'm looking for a recommendation for nearby maintenance/repair shop/guy, preferably within about 3-5 miles, that can do a general maintenance pass, e.g., replace all fluids, battery check, ABS check, tran check, etc.

My plan is to drive it to the repair depot for a sanity check before I drive it the remaining ~70 miles home.

I appreciate the guidance ...

manders

Ha! No pictures!!! What a newbie mistake!!! ;-}

54805204.jpg
54805312.jpg54805303.jpg54805299.jpg54805293.jpg54805242.jpg54805215.jpg
I just got back from a pre-recovery visit.

All the fluids look good, 4 batteries with a manu date of 06/12, right front tire a little low, a fair amount of body 'surface' rust, etc., but it started right up within about 20 seconds of flipping the switches.

Unfortunately, I ran into two issues:
1. I have no lights, including head, tail, brake, or turn signals. Though I have never driven the M939 series, I have been poring over the Operator's Manual since last week and become fairly familiar with all the ways I could screw up the Light Switch positioning. ;-}
Regardless, the brake lights did not alight when either the brakes were applied or the spring break was set. If this was a '77 Camaro, I'd swear I had a blown 15 amp fuse somewhere ... ;-}

[Side note, the gauges all worked just fine, though in the 7 minutes I had it running, I didn't detect much movement from the temperature gauge.]

2. The wipers were locked up solid. The air actuators were trying their best, but neither driver nor passenger side would budge. And since today was the last clear blue sky day we'll have until .... hmmm, I dunno ... maybe March?!??, I'd kinda sorta like to have those things working! 8-}

Unfortunately for me, this visit was a short one and I didn't even discover the problem with the electrical or the wipers until about 10 minutes before I had to leave.

It's rare when I can be accused of being cautious, but if I can find a local mechanic with a bit of appropriate experience, I'll probably just have it towed.

Anyway ... thanks for reading. I'll be starting up a separate recovery thread and copy this info into it for the sake of posterity. You know ... for the children!!!

:wink:

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks