• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PNW Info Thread!

rolling18

Yea, I had this sold on thE-BAY that estimated 68$ to ship to Louisana, took it to the postal store. the estimate was WAAAAYYYY off... try 170$!!!!
so, yea just local OR/ WA/ CA

IsaLandr

Tartaned Goði
parade tonight Centralia, lighted Tractor parade. If you are coming, call me. 360 870 0706. So far it looks like about 5 vehicles.
Hey Peter, saw you and the rest of the guys in the parade. We wanted to bring ours, but I just didn't have time to get it ready in time for the parade. Too much other stuff going on, what with doctor visits and working on the new truck, etc etc etc. We'll be in it next year, and we'll try to get out for as many other events as we can. Just gotta get this other stuff in order first.

So what was the deal with the lights on your truck during the parade? Saw them go out and then you'd stop, jump out, run around, mess with wires, lights would come back on, and away you'd go, only to have to do it again a few feet later. What happened?

Amer-team

Found a nick in one of the extension cords and think that it was causing a bit of a short, causing the breaker on the converter to trip. The converter was pretty warm too. I ended up propping the converter up for more cooling and disconnected the big wreath on the front, that seemed to cool things down enough to get it through the parade. It was one of those things where you don't get a bunch of time for troubleshooting and testing. The light displays are getting more elaborate as folks get used to what is happening. I am sure there were more people at this parade than on the 4th of July.

Amer-team

We had our annual Battle of the Bulge run yesterday. This run takes place on the logging roads up out of Shelton, WA in the Olympic mountains. It was commemorating the 70th anniversary of that battle. We usually camp out but the weather was so nasty that we decided to pack up and head back out. It was in the upper 30's and probably rained a good two inches up there yesterday. Most likely very similar to what the troops went through 70 years ago. Here are a few photos of the event. We had 13 troops, 3 jeeps, a 1 1/2 Chevrolet, and a CCKW. The CCKW came in handy when one of the jeeps hit a pothole and went off the road in a very soggy ditch.

Attachments

Amer-team

Heaven help us if we drop a 5T into that ditch. They had timbers across the bridges and some of them were spaced just far enough apart that a jeep threaded the needle to stay on them. I fell into the middle on one. Fortunately they had pan decking underneath, but it was a pretty bumpy ride to end of the bridge.

I have been thinking that we should do a 2 or 3 day campout around the Olympic Penninsula, Hwy. 101. There are some great places to stay, either in a room or set up the tents or sleep in the back of the truck. Beautiful scenery and a nice drive.

If you want to tag along on this outing next year, we do them sometime around 16 Dec. in memory of the kick off of the Battle of the Bulge and Bastogne. We have been doing this for probably around 18 years and have had everything, weatherwise from over a foot of snow overnight (we had to build a snow road to get out), to fording flooded roads, and a couple of years ago, it was about 60 and dry.

Amer-team

Scott, here are the proposed dates of things that I know of. 21 March? OFM military show and sale, If we can get a turnout the Museum would like to have us. 11 April Veterans of the Battle of the Bulge luncheon. You get to spend a couple hours with some really neat folks, that are disappearing at a rapid rate. 16 May, Armed Forces Day at JBLM and many other places. Will be concentrating on WW2 this year in memory of the 70th anniversary of the end of WW2. Other vehicles and era are always welcome there. 4 July, Centralia parade and display in the park. 14-16 Aug Military Display and campout at Ft. Stevens, OR. There will be a big WW2 presence, but the OR Military Vehicle Club will bring out a variety of vehicles and others may be able to join in. 7 Nov. Veterans Day parade at Auburn. We hope to do a big WW2 tribute in addition to our regular vehicle units. I am talking with them on this.

Any other dates that might fit in for our around the peninsula road trip?

Wolfen

We had our annual Battle of the Bulge run yesterday. This run takes place on the logging roads up out of Shelton, WA in the Olympic mountains. It was commemorating the 70th anniversary of that battle. We usually camp out but the weather was so nasty that we decided to pack up and head back out. It was in the upper 30's and probably rained a good two inches up there yesterday. Most likely very similar to what the troops went through 70 years ago. Here are a few photos of the event. We had 13 troops, 3 jeeps, a 1 1/2 Chevrolet, and a CCKW. The CCKW came in handy when one of the jeeps hit a pothole and went off the road in a very soggy ditch.
One of these I'll have to get my WC54 running well enough to go on this.

Amer-team

The period uniforms is one of the things that we do. We have been doing historical displays as a group for more than 20 years. This run is one that we do for us and not for the public. We try to be as accurate as safety allows. We usually have some time for shooting the Garands, carbines, .45's and we let the youngsters try these weapons out in a controlled supervised manner. We had 1 Captain, 2 retired 1 SG's, 2 retired SFC's and a State Patrolman, plus a few youngsters. This year it was too darned wet for anything, but go, eat, and get the heck out.

Amer-team

You might also look at "At the Front".. They make some really good reproduction uniforms. Depends on your size, but there are quite a few original pieces still to be had from the WW2, Korea time period. I am to the point that it is probably better to get a reproduction. You can get a uniform that actually fits and you may not have a stroke, when you get it dirty or damage it. Happy hunting. I have gotten some really good uniforms at garage sales and flea markets over the years. I walked away twice from a WW2 Marine Corp two piece camo uniform, for 8 bucks, at a flea market in Bakersfield about 5 years ago. It was in a pile of modern military clothing being sold to farm workers for work clothes. Check the prices on that now. I did finally cave and bought it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks