• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PNW Info Thread!

Amer-team

Wolfen, what type of work are you looking for? On the CDL, if you go to Worksource or whatever Oregon's equivalent is, sometime they have some funding available to help with Certificate training such as CDL. I am on the construction side and this time of the year is not the best for that.

SR, am just trying to stay warm. Wanted to warm the truck yesterday and maybe drive a bit and the doors were frozen shut. Next weekend we will be going to the White Christmas movie in WW2 uniform to help with a fundraiser for the old theater here in town and then the following weekend, the 12th is the Lighted Tractor parade. We had 12 vehicles last year so were nearly a quarter of the parade.

srodocker

YES THE LIGHTED PARADE!

my wife totally asked me early today to figure out the day for that. It falls on the kids bday but we should be done with her things by the time it starts. What time is the lineup? Maybe give me a ring tomorrow and we can talk about it as well.

Wolfen

The CDL is a good idea except that my driving record won't support a CDL for another year. I had a class B CDL until 2 years a go but had to give it up. As far as the type of work I'm looking for, I'm looking for Purchasing, or Warehouse. Purchasing Jobs are tough to find and most of the Warehouse jobs around here don't pay more then $10.00-$10.50hr. I am Forklift certified and have over 20 years of experience in purchasing and warehouse from my time in the Air Force Reserve/Air Nation Guard but Employers around here are not impressed. If I even get a interview I never get the job.

Amer-team

Scott, take a look at the upcoming events section, but date is 12 Dec. Parade is at 1800. Or be at my house about 1400 for truck decoration and we will have some hamburgers before we go line up.

Wolfen, I am not that familiar with OR, but if you don't mind working outside, you might take a look at some of the Construction apprenticeships. I am with the Laborers apprenticeship in WA and in our Vancouver office, worst case you would start at about 17.50, so I am guessing the Portland area is around that figure. That would also include benefits such as medical and retirement. The structure of the building trades apprenticeships are very similar to the military in the way that you advance through the program. Take a look at OR BOLI and look up apprenticeships, if that is something that would work for you. Veterans usually have preference for entry.

Wolfen

Thank you for the sugestion but in practial terms not officialy I'm to old to be a Apprentice. I'm in my 50's. As for the Parade I greatly appreciate the offer and it sounds like fun but I don't think I will be attending due to what it would cost me to drive there and back. I don't even drive to Portland to save on Gas. I didn't even have my Military Truck at any displays/Parades this year since it needs Wheel Cylinders and I've cut the Money for fun stuff like that out of my Budget.

Amer-team

Went well except for the downpour during light up time. The jeep was a 43 MB. It is a brother and sister team and they are both retired. They had that thing lit up 2 weeks before the parade. Keep an eye on us, you are certainly welcome to join in, however possible. We are trying to get geared up for 25 years since Desert Storm next year and plan on doing 2 to 3 events with that emphasis.

Amer-team

I think the next major event is Armed Forces Day at JBLM. We will be doing a Desert Storm display there. Keep an eye on the upcoming events thread. I try to post most of the things we are doing.

NEWFISHER

Hi guys,

Any meet up's Oregon /Wa west side I5 corridor comming up? World of Speed Museum is a good gathering spot in Wilsonville. http://www.worldofspeed.org/
Or Evergreen air museum. http://www.evergreenmuseum.org/
Or LeMay's in Tacoma. https://www.americascarmuseum.org/

Cabela's one of only 4 Military discount weekends is this weekend (Sunday) Feb 14-17
We could meet at the PDX or Eugene Cabelas with some rigs?
http://militaryandveteransdiscounts.com/company/cabela-s.html
All 3 encourage groups and have reserved parking if we get enough to meet up.

Ive been needing an excuse to listen to the straight gear whine at highway speed for awhile

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks