• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PNW Info Thread!

Another Ahab

The Cascadia Rising tsunami national gaurd responce is in full swing right now until saturday. Should be several vehicles in the greater king county I90 405 area as well as local assets for the drill.
That's good to hear that preparation of some kind is being considered (and acted on).

You would hope that the preparation might be like carrying an umbrella when you're unsure of rain:

- It never seems to rain when you're prepared and expecting it.

srodocker

Tons of convoys moving around. Seen them in shelton by the airport and a huge setup in Ocean shores. Im working this area this week so been having fun watching them all.

Another Ahab

The Cascadia Rising tsunami national gaurd responce is in full swing right now until saturday. Should be several vehicles in the greater king county I90 405 area as well as local assets for the drill.
From what ive heard about the plan all assets will be coming from the east side since the west side will be leveled. I was told to think of 5-6 min of continious shaking with a short brake and several aftershocks at magnitude 8 or up. Not a lot is gona survive that. Perhaps they are thinking that the lone hummer and radio will be what survives the quake. I know there was a rather large convoy last weekend from spokane setup shop along 405 some where.
I was told to expect 90%+of bridges and overpasses to be destroyed... btw thats a lot up where I live... and then a big wall of water that will enter the Puget sound and slosh around. Everything west of I5 wiped off the state...
That's good to hear that preparation of some kind is being considered (and acted on).

You would hope that the preparation might be like carrying an umbrella when you're unsure of rain:

- It never seems to rain when you're prepared and expecting it.
My nephew and his wife live on low ground, in the "strike zone".

His Mom (my sister) and I were talking about this (and the New Yorker Magazine article about the Cascadia), over one of our regular coffee visits (every month or so). I think the article noted that it is estimated that there will be all of 15 minutes from onset, to arrival and landfall of the Tsunami.

She mentioned, if the Cascadia lets go and the Tsunami touches off, she just hoped it would be over fast and mercifully for Andrew and Jessica.

That caught me off-guard. I would never have expected that sober fatalistic response from my sister. Truthfully, I was impressed and respect it.

Sometimes this world is a tough place. What are you going to do?

We were raised Catholic, and she and I take comfort in prayer (whether it "does" anything or not). And even if it doesn't or "can't" do anything it can help you feel not so totally helpless. If we're all lucky, this disaster won't ever materialize.

Amen

Last edited:

Special T

Depending on where you live/work will be the determi ing factor. Many here on the left coast need to take a few hints from those in hurricane country and at least have a min of prepardness. Food water batteries and a plan.

BnaditCorps

My nephew and his wife live on low ground, in the "strike zone".

His Mom (my sister) and I were talking about this (and the New Yorker Magazine article about the Cascadia), over one of our regular coffee visits (every month or so). I think the article noted that it is estimated that there will be all of 15 minutes from onset, to arrival and landfall of the Tsunami.

She mentioned, if the Cascadia lets go and the Tsunami touches off, she just hoped it would be over fast and mercifully for Andrew and Jessica.

That caught me off-guard. I would never have expected that sober fatalistic response from my sister. Truthfully, I was impressed and respect it.

Sometimes this world is a tough place. What are you going to do?

We were raised Catholic, and she and I take comfort in prayer (whether it "does" anything or not). And even if it doesn't or "can't" do anything it can help you feel not so totally helpless. If we're all lucky, this disaster won't ever materialize.

Amen
WOW!

I had no idea this was going on! I live outside the Bay Area and we are waiting for the San Andreas to go, because it is only a matter of time. The scary part is that the Cascadia and San Andreas are speculated, by people a lot smarter than us, to be connected.

Another Ahab

WOW!

I had no idea this was going on! I live outside the Bay Area and we are waiting for the San Andreas to go, because it is only a matter of time. The scary part is that the Cascadia and San Andreas are speculated, by people a lot smarter than us, to be connected.
This IS the PNW thread after all, so maybe this post isn't a total hijack (my apologies to wsucougarX, accordingly).

Here's a link to the article (I think she got a Pulitzer for it):

Last edited:

Another Ahab

WOW!

The truth is, nobody knows. Likely nobody ever CAN know.

Nobody knows as much about this world as we like to think we do (no matter how many degrees you have, and how"smart" you are).

The Gospel of Mark puts it pretty succinctly.

That would be Chapter 13 Verse 30:

"Nobody knows the Day or the Hour/
Not the Angels of Heaven/
Not even the Son;/
But only the Father"

(and He's not sharing much).

Another Ahab

I live inland and should be "ok" if I can survive the tsunami. .. I work in the lowland dangerzone west of i5 or am on the road.
Maybe in the next year or so (before anything rash happens), maybe somebody invents a personal "pocket" drone:

- And if the S--- Hits the Fan, it can fly you above any danger and land you on high ground somewhere (a reverse parachute); who knows?

Or something like this!

Air Cycle.jpg

Last edited:

Another Ahab

The Gospel of Mark puts it pretty succinctly.

That would be Chapter 13 Verse 30:

"Nobody knows the Day or the Hour/
Not the Angels of Heaven/
Not even the Son;/
But only the Father"

(and He's not sharing much).
Realizing I'm mixing up a couple of my favorite passages of scripture:

- THIS should instead be Verse 32, not Verse 30 (Mark Chapter 13).

Just for the record....

Amer-team

Many of us may be fairly prepared for disasters such as floods, earthquakes, winter storms, but a question posed today about the training going on around here, if you had 10 minutes to grab and go, what would you take. The point being a good to go, grab bag or box, is a smart investment of time and resources. I keep a grab bag in the truck to be ready for the event.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many of us may be fairly prepared for disasters such as floods, earthquakes, winter storms, but a question posed today about the training going on around here, if you had 10 minutes to grab and go, what would you take. The point being a good to go, grab bag or box, is a smart investment of time and resources. I keep a grab bag in the truck to be ready for the event.
Some are more prepared than others.

I have an EDC bag, which does not leave my side, even on job sites, which is basically a small day bag, which has everything to survive for about 36 hours. Water, water filtration, high fat/protein snacks/food, means to make shelter, emergency blanket, comms, defense, basic medical kit, etc.

I also have a BOB which stays in whichever vehicle I have, which is essentially set up for long term camping/backpacking.

In addition, EACH vehicle I have/own has food and water to last a week or 2, medical supplies, and minor tools....

It's not expensive, it doesn't take up that much room or weight, and it's just smart.

People have fire extinguishers everywhere, but fires are pretty rare. However, the consequence for not having one if a fire starts, can be deadly. The same goes for preparing for a natural disaster/terrorist attack/zombies(lol)/whatever....

You never expect an earthquake, or other natural disaster, but I have my 'fire extinguishers' just in case.

If things are bad enough that I need to run, I could care less about anything else.

Another Ahab

If things are bad enough that I need to run, I could care less about anything else.
You all are reminding me of a story our Mom told us when we were all kids.

She was a WII war bride; a French native living in Paris whom my father met at a Red Cross dance pressing through from Le Havre into Germany.

She lived in Paris throughout the 5 years of German Occupation. She didn't like talking about the war. But sometimes she did:

- Before the German Wehrmacht arrived in 1940, a Jewish family emigrating out of Poland moved into her building. They were apparently trying to get out of Europe to the U.S., but at the time Paris was as far as they could get.

- The Wehrmacht arrived, and things were not good but people talked to each other and did what they could for one another in spite of circumstances.

- The concierge in her building had a boyfriend who worked at the local police station of her arrondissement (her neighborhood). He warned the concierge that the Germans (the "Party" Germans my Mom called them, the Nazis), had discovered this family through records and meant to come "get" them that night (everything was done at night for terror effect apparently).

- So the boyfriend passes on the word, and the concierge herself passes on the warning to the family. The children got the word while at school and never came back to the apartment (whatever happened to them though she didn't say); and the father got the word at work and also stayed away that evening.

- The mother and grandmother though apparently came back to the apartment to try and grab things (clothes? furniture? mementos? I don't know). and while they were there the soldiers arrived. My mom talked about the sound of the jack boots on the stairway, and then the screams of the women.

- It is a horrible story.

- My mom never learned what happened to everyone in that family. The war was like that evidently, everybody doing the best they could for themselves and looking out for others when possible, but they were bad times; hard times.

They wanted their "things". Hard as it is; like TechnoWeenie says, sometimes dropping everything and just running is the best thing you can do for yourself.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks