• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Poll On Reproduction Winch Plates...

devilman96

Kenny brought the idea of manufacturing replacement winch plates to my attention, my first thought was to make them thicker but he suggested I try a poll and see what you guys would want... (he likes givin me stuff to build cause ya know me... im always at a shortage of projects to work on) :D

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Poll On Reporduction Winch Plates...

Thicker plates with the data plate holes drilled. My two cents....

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor

My preference would be original thickness, and drilled for the plates - ie, and exact repro, which is not a choice given in the poll.

Best wishes,
David Doyle

jasonjc

I'm exact repro. Or maybe a little thicker not a chunk of railroad track maybe a 1/16. Or just the way they were. :?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Mike, I fixed it and added exact repro with Data plate holes. Thats the way I voted and a few folks may re-vote for that selection. Mike also mentioned something about doing the one on the back as well. The top one I think would be the best seller but I'd wager that the back one would sell too. I keep editing this darn post. I want to add that the factory part is sufficient in strength. It only gets dammaged when the operator screws up and at that point,, the winch has sufficient strength to damage whatever you put up there. If you do run some super heavy C channel or a railroad rail, you will just destroy the rest of the winch. My humble opinion.

mangus580

Agreed kenny... I have a heavy channel on mine... since I destroyed the original. Well, the channel is bent too!

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Poll On Reporduction Winch Plates...

mangus580 said:
Agreed kenny... I have a heavy channel on mine... since I destroyed the original. Well, the channel is bent too!
x2! Have been there, too...!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Poll On Reporduction Winch Plates...

I think you should be able to screen print the original worn out plates rather easily, no need to make the plates from scratch.
Perhaps even using the back side, all that's needed is a screen, artwork and black (red?) epoxy ink.
That's my plan for the 8x8 front winch anyway.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Bjorn, Mike wants to reproduce the steel channel that spans the top of the winch. I wish he were reproducing data plates, I need a few off the wall items.

citizensoldier

Now if you want to bank on some repro goods. How about winch extentions and side mounting brackets for the deuce and 5 ton.
I would buy 2 sets of each. Come on Mike you can do it!!!

devilman96

Cant do it... Stamped parts... different monkey all together. I know how the process works but I've never done it and don't even know whom I could go to with the right equipment to do the job.

I could "make" sets up that would work the same but they wouldn't look anything like the originals do and being that they would have to be made from pieces and then welded to get all of the angles in right you would prolly faint over the cost...

Michigan tree punchers!

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I can build a stamper....

I have a book on manufacturing stamped metal parts. I would like to get into that side of the MV part business one day. Panals, fenders, crossmembers, the like.

citizensoldier

Well... I was just pointing out parts that seem to be very hard to find. Piles of winches all over but no way to put them on.. Well maybe for a future off shoot of your now running fab business.
Ferroequinologist: If you have the knowhow this would be a very proffitable venture. Many of the NOS parts have dried up. For example M37 winch bumpers. Guys are paying good money for a mangled up piece of crap that needs a week of work to get it back to normal. Front fenders too.
I understand it takes some cash up front to get and build this type of equipement but man I think it would pay off for you. Midwest Military is making repro parts and seems to be doing well.. It all goes back to it "Takes money to make money!"
I would not doubt if the dies for most of this stuff are sitting in a giant wearhouse in lower Michigan somewhere. Anybody a big time dude for Chrysler or Jeep?? Or maybe the blueprints for the dies??

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks