• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Poll Spring or Box Seat

m38inmaine

Which do you prefer and why. This topic came up in the mess tent and thought it would make a good poll. I prefer the box, more room, extra storage compartment, no amusement park ride on the rough stuff.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I like the box seat, but prefer the spring seat. I agree with the opinion that the box seat is better for taller drivers or those with a little extra baggage........ And the storage under the box seat is helpful, but on bumpy surfaces, the spring ride is hard to beat.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I probably should have tried the box out before I sent it off, but I am comfortable with the spring. I guess I can't really compare. I am really looking forward to hit the pull-it-yourself yard to see if I can find a good modern seat to try out. Stock on the outside, comfortable on the inside.

alphadeltaromeo

This may sound rather silly, but I was in Tractor Supply Co. the other day and they have some really nice tractor seats that have springs to them (some of them)...could be an option. Some of them have nice arm rests as well.

houdel

I voted for the springer seat. Advantage - much more comfortable ride, disadvantage - even though I am fairly small in stature and do not have the "extended abdomen" of those in my age group, the seating is too high and too far forward for comfort. When I drove M35s for he military (N/A LD427s I guess, I was too young and too inattentive to care) we had the box seat. They were positioned better for driving comfort, my butt was sufficiently hardened at the time that it did not bother me. Did not make much use of the under seat storage either. Later in the fire service, some of our newer vehicles had adjustable air ride seats. Talk about an amusement park ride! Those things were a real trip, most of our service area was rutted graveled roads, we were constantly bouncing around. I guess they'd be OK on paved roads, but really sucked on the rough roads!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I have both and concur that the box seat offers more room. Storage is always a plus but I like the ride of the springer. My ultimate goal is to buy one of the GL HEMTT cabs and liberate the seats from it and use them. Another thought I had with the springer is reduce the thickness of the back cusion, it doesn't need to be that thinck.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny I just picked up2 in CA that were mint!!!! Could not ask for a better seat! :shock:

acetomatoco

Remember the box seat will accomodate fatter tushes and some really big folks take off the cushion and just put a piece of plywood in its place.. The cabs were designed in 1949 when folks were a lot smaller...no big Macs....only spam and bullly beef.. ACE

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I replaced my box with spring seats on both sides of the truck. Wifey likes it better than the pass side bench also. I used to keep my impact and jacks in the box seat but now i have to cram everything in the tool box under the cab. If your spring seat is bouncing like mad then mabye the shock absorber is bad? Mine does move alot but it doesen't throw me around in the cab.

Armada

The box seat gives more room, but I like sitting up higher in the spring seat so I prefer those. I have the tension adjustment cranked up so the only time they really bounce is on a harsher than normal bump. You're right Kenny, the seat back is over padded and doesn't need to be. It's actually thicker than the seat bottom. I also removed the passenger bench seat and put a springer in place of it. Passengers like it better than the bench. That gives me the space between the two seats for storage.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I voted box. I was gonna try to get a springer, but I sat in my buddys truck with a springer and it felt too cramped, sat too high, steering wheel too close, made it seem harder to steer. I'll stay with the box.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't know the box seat had more room. I am heading out to modify my spring seat right now to see if I can get some more room. If not, anyone want to trade a box seat for my spring? At 6' 8", I NEED more room!

Dennis

Last edited:

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
i cant really say box seat or spring since i havent tried out the box, but i cant say that i actually like the spring seat. im a fat guy, i have the seat tension all the way up but on rough terrain i bottom out the seat. nothing is worse than hitting a pot hole or a speed bump and blasting your spine when the seat comes crashing into the floor

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The old M35A2 in my avatar had 2 springers in it. It was cool but I found that I needed the 3rd seat more often than not. I would love to do 2 springers again and shorten the companion bench to put between them. You could seat 3 uncomfortably or fold it down and use a magnetic drink holder in the back.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
magnetic drink holder
They make such a thing? Cool. My usual drinkholder is the girlfriend! rofl

I think I am going to try and put some kind of a lockable console between the 2 springers. I want to keep the truck as authentic looking as possible (all mil-spec) but I really need a place to lock camera(s), laptop, .45, etc.

ah1955

Mine has a spring seat but I have not realy driven it much to tell, I just think driving the deuce is so cool that my butt really doe's not care.
A little off the subject but I have to comment on Recovry4x4's cup holder, now thats one beefy cup hold, bet he does't have to worry about his coffee sliding around.