• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Poll Spring or Box Seat

houdel

Nice photos Ken! but what in the "H" are we looking at? Are you sure you attached this to the right posting?

rdixiemiller

Mine came with a drivers side springer, I added one on the pax side. I am getting ready to pull the pax springer out and go back with the bench seat. Using the area between the seats for storage ends up being a mess, I am going to build a locking box to go under the pax bench seat. If the spring seat has the original metal back on it, you sit farther back. If it has been replaced with plywood, it moves you ahead at least 1", maybe more.
Personally, I like the drivers side springer, I have a good shock on mine, so you don't bounce much. I haven't driven a box seat since the late 70's, so I can't remember enough how it rode.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've driven a spring, but prefer the box. no bouncing and more room in the cab, and storage a plus.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
clinto said:
magnetic drink holder
They make such a thing? Cool. My usual drinkholder is the girlfriend! rofl

I think I am going to try and put some kind of a lockable console between the 2 springers. I want to keep the truck as authentic looking as possible (all mil-spec) but I really need a place to lock camera(s), laptop, .45, etc.
Pretty sure it's the right thread Lee, was responding to the above post.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Great idea on the drink holder Kenny. I need to make up a couple of those for the convoy!

I like the spring, except on the really big bumps when it has been known to bang my head off of the soft top ;) The adjuster was frozen on my M35A2 and the shock was prolly worn out too. I am anxious to see how the one in the 923A2 does.

tbrenner

My truck has the spring seat and I have a hard time with it even. I'm not big at all at 6' tall and 180 pounds. I took the coil spring out yesterday and find it gets me lower and the adjustible spring still gives it a spring ride. In the process now of cutting the back pad down abit.

AMGeneral

Ok,got 3 spring ride,2 box and 2 true air ride seats.I prefer the box seat for the seating position,as the spring ride feels rather odd in the 816 and downright cramped in the 123(because of the position of the steering wheel).The GOER has the true air ride seats,and they seem fairly comfortable.

houdel

Ken - still don't understand what the "pics" showing us. Is this a drink holder cup attached horizontally to the outside of the door? Seems to me that a drink holder cup attached vertically inside the cab would be more useful.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree...I'm a box-seat man, myself. I've had numerous deuces with the sprint seat and only a few with the box seat. I've driven a few trucks 17 hours straight or more and I can honestly say that the ol' butt feels much better with a real seat (cushion over springs) than foam on top of plywood with the spring. I will add that the spring seat is better off-road since it allows the driver to float up and down as the truck bumps up and down. Anyway, my $0.02...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a drink holder Lee. I was trying to demonstrate its magnetic ability. You're also right in the fact that it works better in the cab. Easier to reach and the drink doesn't leak out. I need to remember to add captions to these pictures so as not to confuse.

littlebob

Mine came with the spring drivers and bench passenger seat. I got another cab to help complete the project with another springer. I think I'll probably use both springer and build a storage unit with a cushion for the middle that is removable to facilitate an Ice Chest or something.
littlebob

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks