• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Poll - Who has done the Doghead Relay Conversion

Start Relay Conversion/Upgrade

• Yes - I have done the conversion

Votes: 328 60.6%
  • No - I don't plan on doing the conversion

Votes: 51 9.4%
  • No - I haven't done it but plan on doing it soon.

Votes: 162 29.9%

• Total voters

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ill do it someday but not any time soon...how come no bacon option in the poll ?
Thats how I felt but the great meltdown forced it to the front of the line. As was pointed out to me, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

lavarok

Every CUCV that comes my way has the conversion done. In fact, the new M1031 will be getting it sometime over the next day or two. [thumbzup]

jvrotter

I just got a M1009 and that was one if the first things I did. Saying that I have had a M1008 for at least 15 years now and and had never changed the relay. However I have had to replace the starter. I plan on doing the relay change soon.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've done it to my M1028. Anyone who isn't planning on doing it should consider it. It will save your wallet it the long run.

1984M1009

I did because I was having starting problems and wanted to eliminate the relay as a possibility.

I am still having starting problems but I am pretty sure the batteries are at fault this time

Barrman

PMCS. After reading all the horror stories before I bought my first one, I considered the relay swap as important as fluids and filters.

bushhawg73

I have the relay and will be doing it soon. M1008 is on blocks right now. Many many projects going on. If it was not for this great site and the great people who all help out I would have never known about the fix. I do not post a lot but I sure do read a lot. The info here is worth gold if you ask me. [thumbzup]

Cucvnut

Thats how I felt but the great meltdown forced it to the front of the line. As was pointed out to me, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

My truck is not running so its not a huge concern to me right now. I plan on fixing my truck in august. After my wedding.

1stSarge

Joe,
I made it impossible for the old relay to stick closed, I simply have dead batteries in the trucks at all times. Problem solved. rofl

Modification highly recommended.

Attachments

jimmy-90

I did the relay mod to make my truck more reliable since my truck is pretty close to a daily driver and I hate burned up parts and calling tow trucks. Gotta say I loved it when I bought the relay and airfilter for my truck and the NAPA guy asked me if I was working on a boat or something.

kapnklug

I did the conversion, which worked fine, but later removed it in favor of two hi-amperage momentary pushbuttons on the lower dashboard -- one for manual glowplugs and the other taking the place of the starter relay. To start the truck I switch the key to the run position, then hit the buttons with my left "peace sign."
This eliminates the relay, glowplug controller, and a whole bunch of wiring.

monkeythumbs

It was one of the first things I did when I got my M1009, wanted to replace a few things that might decrease the daily driver factor of the truck. The only issue I had was to me atleast the pics seemed to be off 180 degrees or more , kept trying to compare the work I had done to the photos and they didn't jive, unless I was flipping the part in my hand and matching things up .

chevyCUCV

I keep putting it off but will do it eventually

I do carry a set or wire cutters though just in case i need to cut the wires to it and save my wires and starter

xenocath

searching.............
i bought the dern relay i know i need to do it, just keep getting lost in the other fun stuff you can do to the truck. my truck is almost a moving spare parts warehouse full of things i am gonna do when i get round tuit;-)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks