• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

poor m1009 mileage

bigflew

MY mileage on my 86 m1009 went from 20 to 15 in the last month also seems harder starting and smokes more at start up. seems to run good otherwise. The glow plugs seem to be working(volt meter shows a drop in voltage when glow plug relay turns on) (also the belt squeels when glow plugs are working. its always done that and tightening belt or replacing did not help.)the air filter seems ok but will replace anyway. Im wondering if I have an injector leaking or a injection pump problem?
any help would be great.

Westech

CPL
the cucv injection pump is kinda a pile of crap. Most owners will have to replace the pump in the first couple years of being back in full time service. A good thing to do is rebuild the Fuel injectors at the same time. The kits for all 8 cost around 65 bucks. If you can change a spark plug you can rebuild the 6.2 injector. Its that ez.

91W350

Are they blending fuel there already? The winter blended fuel does not have as much energy as good old #2 diesel. It would be early for us, but your area might be subject to much colder temperatures, much earlier in the year than we are. I have been getting #2 at the local CO-OP as they do not blend their fuel until it is really cold out. One of our local truck stops sells #2 diesel much later than the other five truck stops do. Glen

chief1983

Is IP timing something I should mess with, without a dyno to test my results? I read about that in an old 4x4 magazine I had, that advancing the timing on a worn chain got them another 10% of their horsepower back. But I don't have a way to verify results other than to check the exhaust for excess smoke.

Also, what's currently a good way to get my IP handled? Find a new one somewhere, or find someone to rebuild mine? What's a good place to send mine if that's the way to go? I'd love to get back to the 20mpg I've heard these M1009s can achieve, and I'd really love to have it in good shape for the cold weather.

Wolf.Dose

The injection pump is not a very reliable peace of technology, however the fuel consumption over 20 mpg might have other problems, too. If the cluches in the THM400 start to slip, the fuel comsumtion will jump from 20 to 15 mpg easily, which I experianced. Change your transmission oil. If slightly dark and /or smelling somewhat burned, rebuilt your transmission! Caution, the differnece between normally changed transmission oil and burned one is very small! Compare with your transfer oil. The transmission oil should have after some 40000 miles almost the same colour. If darker, a transmission problem. I know, what I'm talking about after 14 years with a M1009 and 372000 km.
Wolf