• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

poor mans HEMTT

ProviderDriver

To answer your question, it is on it's own chassis. But I am sure many parts are shared amoung OshKosh product lines....but HOLY COW what a big darn truck!

Top speed is 70 mph. BUT probably too big and heavy to go down the road. Probably around 130,000 pounds, loaded.

I can pretty much ensure that you will not be able to register, insure or even title that thing. At that weight....I couldn't even imagine...YIKES!

Check out the newer, lighter ones.
Oshkosh Striker 4500 |ARFF Fire Fighting Trucks | Oshkoshairport.com

BTW, these new ones go for over 2 million bucks.

I think this should give you more data on that particular truck.
OSHKOSH P-15 ARFF

Last edited:

M1075

I bet the top speed is just fine, as crash trucks need to get there fast (but don't have to go very far). I would worry about how big the fuel tank is and how wide that truck is. Operating requirements for an airfield would vary greatly from road use!

SCRAP

well i was thinking if historic, there is no weight on title, plus im sure it could loose about 30k of ugly weight by removing unnecessary stuff.

ProviderDriver

I dunno if they would call it historic or not. They are still in active duty at military and civilian airports all over the place. If it is up for auction, I am betting that a city airport will bid on it to upgrade the firefighting capability. With an upgrade in class, larger aircraft can be accomodated, which means more service and more revenue, so.... Even stripping 30k out will not bring it under weight to be highway driven, not to mention the fact that it is too wide, too long and too tall, and there is no drivers liscense for it, and when ever it is moved on public roads, it has to have over weight, over length, over height, over width permits, and flag cars before and after it...

It would be interesting to see one in civilian hands... But no DMV is going to title that truck historic. Give it a shot, what the heck!

ProviderDriver

I wasn't concerned about the age, but the type of vehicle it is. I know for a fact that NY will not title or register my landlords old 1977 Mack dumptruck historic. Once you get above that magic 26,000 pounds with airbrakes, I think you will have a hard time convincing Motor Vehicle that it is a "Historically significant" vehicle. The class I had to take to drive and operate ARFF units was 2 weeks long, and I already had my CDL for years...BTW, they drive like $h!t, horrendous body roll, less than 1 mpg, terrible brakes, but then again, the one I drove had 5000 gallons of water and 400 gallons of foam mix in it. It was a 6x6, could have used the extra braking axle... Might not be too bad if it was always empty. Gonna have to strip the deck guns off the roof to get it under 13'6", got to cut something off the overall length somehow to get it under 45', no way to get it under 102" wide...

Don't get me wrong, I say give it a shot! I just wonder about getting insurance for a 130,000 pound, 50 foot long, 14 foot tall, 10+ foot wide, 8x8 fire truck with big placard on the dash that says "FOR AIRPORT USE ONLY"

ProviderDriver

Keeping it empty, and loosing all the firefighting gear, guns, hose, pumps, etc, you should be able to get it under 80k. But what about it being over 10' wide? Can't go down the road in anything over 102 inches with out wide load permits.

Do you actually plan on driving it on public roads? Do you have your CDL-B with airbrakes? And EVOC Class 5?

SCRAP

i was thinkin of filling it with beer and spraying it at a rock concert in mid august

actually it just looks like a cool truck , and if modified possibly roadworthy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks