• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Poor mans wheel alignment

70deuce

Here is what I do. A 1/2' PVC pipe slipped inside a 3/4" PVC pipe lengths cut so the 1/2" can slide about one foot while in between the tires. You can use the same setup for all trucks. I wrapped some tape around the 1/2" pipe to provide for an interference fit but still allow motion. I drive the truck straight for a short distance then using jackstands for support put the pipe across them in front of the axle and hold the 3/4" pipe against one tire as shown and pull the 1/2" pipe out until it contacts the other tire. I mark the inner pipe where it hits the outer pipe and then go to the rear of the axle and do the same thing. The two marks will show the toe in or toe out. One truck I got from GL had 3/4" toe OUT! Hopefully you bet 1/8" to 1/4" difference toe in. You can also mark the inner pipe with 1/8" increments. I have jacked up one wheel after a straight ahead drive also and it it doesn't seem to make much difference than not jacking one up. Its not precise but it sure it easy and it does work.

Attachments

hvann

Here is what I do. A 1/2' PVC pipe slipped inside a 3/4" PVC pipe lengths cut so the 1/2" can slide about one foot while in between the tires. You can use the same setup for all trucks. I wrapped some tape around the 1/2" pipe to provide for an interference fit but still allow motion. I drive the truck straight for a short distance then using jackstands for support put the pipe across them in front of the axle and hold the 3/4" pipe against one tire as shown and pull the 1/2" pipe out until it contacts the other tire. I mark the inner pipe where it hits the outer pipe and then go to the rear of the axle and do the same thing. The two marks will show the toe in or toe out. One truck I got from GL had 3/4" toe OUT! Hopefully you bet 1/8" to 1/4" difference toe in. You can also mark the inner pipe with 1/8" increments. I have jacked up one wheel after a straight ahead drive also and it it doesn't seem to make much difference than not jacking one up. Its not precise but it sure it easy and it does work.
Thanks 70deuce. Looks like another great way to get-r-done.

I see the P3 as your avatar. Any chance you were VP48?

Thanks
Van

lacoda56

The way sermis describes takes any tire and rim wobble out of the procedure. Alignments were done this way at shops for years before laser alignment came along. It also helps to rattle can spray a stripe down the center of the tire while spinning it. The scribe mark shows up clearly that way.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
70Deuce, that's brilliant with the PVC.

All you dudes are a clever bunch.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you aren't goin to take care of your "employee" please inform Andy that there are other places of employment available for a person of his qualifications! ROFLMAO!:shock:
God bless,

Tony:-D

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did it with a straight edge on my F66 4x4 and set at 1/8" toe in using 2 pieces of cold rolled flat bar. When I measured + 1/8" at 30" behind and -1/8" at 30" in front, I stopped. I don't trust the wheels to be straight and true all the time. Then Again I still have split rims until some deuce gives up a set of super singles.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks