• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"Popping" noise in front end

PeeWeeQ

So, whenever I go to turn, primarily to the left, I hear a loud "pop" underneath the driver's side near the wheel well. I've never changed out any of the steering components, so, I'm wondering what the likely culprit is. Is there a certain thing I should start with? Should I simply replace certain steering components because they are 33 years old?

Thanks for the help, gents...:clinto:

cucvrus

My prediction is outer axle U joints. They can cause a lot of issues in the steering. I would pull the axles and see if the popping goes way. When you replace them use grease able U joints. Or use good Spicer U joints that are permanently greased. Report back.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would recommend strongly looking at all the ball joints, tie rod sockets. What you are describing is a very worn component that is on the verge of failing and separating causing possibly catastrophic failure. Any tire shop that does alignments such as Goodyear/ Firestone/ etc can do a front end safety check or your local mechanic.

Please do not drive and ignore.

U-joints or cv shafts typically "click" not pop.

cucvrus

The frozen U joints Snap, crackle, pop when you are steering because they are loading up the power steering system and then letting go all at once. I seen the cross truck tie rod bend like a bow and then release when the U joint unlocked. I have driven a few M1009's that I had trouble parking parallel because the front outer U joints were seized. I have removed the effected axles and had the short end in the vise and hung my 220 lbs from the long end of the axle and it did not budge. If you keep running them they may loosen up and fly apart. Problem over. Now the cracking and grinding begin. good Luck. Report back I am curious of what you will find. Have a great day. Stay dry.

sneekyeye

Check your sway bar bushings as well.A bad bushing can cause the sway bar to impact the frame while turning causing a knock. It will be pretty easy to check with a pry bar prying on the sway bar near the bushings. I had this same problem and it was the old bushing pooching out of the bracket.

PeeWeeQ

Turned out to be 2 simple things...

For one, one nut on my steering damper was loose. I put a lock nut and some threadlock on and that should take care of that.

Second, apparently, a couple of years ago when I put the suburban 3:73 axles in and I had decided to replace worn tie rod ends on the drag link while I was under there, I didn't get the castle nut on the steering arm end tight enough. No idea why it all of the sudden decided, to pop loose after all this time, but it did.

I took juanprado's advice and parked it until I could get under it (yesterday). I wish I would have taken pics, but it's gotten chilly here as of late (5° this AM) and I didn't feel like taking the time. Anyway, there was a good 1/8" of play and getting the castle nut off was a bear.

I took a good C-clamp and tightened the tie rod end down into the steering arm as best I could, the idea being Tom it in there enough so it wouldn't turn with the nut. After I got it loose, I wire brushed and lubed the threads on the nut and tie rod end and put them back together. This time I got it tight!

Thanks for all of the help and suggestions, guys. Even though it was something else, I've printed the page for a future troubleshooting reference to go in my binder.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for posting. In another lifetime I sold parts and service. Unfortunately, I have seen many ball joint/control arm separations along with tie rods. Never good and always causes a lot more damage mechanically and usually body also..

Great reason to always look at all the stuff on the front end on our older trucks just to be safe.

3 weeks ago leaving another members house on I-10 a chevy pup in the middle lane suffered a separated lower ball joint on the front right and wandered into my lane. I was slightly behind him and saw it unfold. I immediately slammed on my brakes because I knew he would have very little control easing to the shoulder and let him have all the room he needed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks