• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Popping sound comming from front end?

Blueduce

I have been wondering if this is my problem. When I greased my truck the last time I realized that my bottom steering knuckle bearing zert was inop. I replaced it and it felt like I pumped an entire tube of grease in it. Just a question ratat98 when you greased everything how much grease did you pump into the steering knuckle bearings. Also is there a certain place where the grease will ooze out to let you know when there full. I don't want to over grease if that's possible. Would love to see the thread. Thanks.

rlwm211

Did you pull the plug out before Greasing the Knuckle?????

Check the LO if you did not.

You are supposed to remove the plug in the front and in the back half of the knuckle before adding grease.

Page 7 in LO9 2320-209-10-2-1

also note 11 on page 32.

Last edited:

Blueduce

I may have found the problem. the axle boot on the drivers side has a huge tear in it. The tear is on the top side of the boot right where the king pin is... What do you think I should do. Besides the obvious. (replacing the boot). should I pull that side down to the king pin and see if everything is okay or if anything foreign is in there or do you think a new boot and a good greasing will do the trick.
I did find all 4 knuckle plugs and remove them. Thanks... Once you remove the plugs and start to grease both zerts how do you know when you have enough grease in there. Does it come out the plug holes? I've put a full tube in just the bottom zert and nothing is oozing. I felt the boot on the bottom and you can tell there is a fair amount of grease in there.

Clay James

Mine had this problem but I replaced the kingpin and spindle bushings and haven't noticed it doing it since then.
Drove it 100 miles Friday with lots of dirt road driving and turning and still haven't heard it. I also replaced the bottom plate for the kingpin since it had worn it down. So, it was either my kingpin bushings, spindle bushings or bottom plate or a combination causing it on my particular truck. My M109A3 does it too, so when I pull the front axle apart for service I'll try and track down what it is specifically. I always assumed it was my steering box.

Last edited:

lawdog1623

just fyi, blue, i spoke with a former mechanic in the army who worrked on these trucks for nearly 10 years. he directed me to grease all the front end areas that can be greased. i did this and the popping sound is completely gone in my truck...hope this helps

Blueduce

It does help lawdog. I did that yesterday. That's when I found a tear in my boot on the drivers side. It's right whre my top kingpin is and where the popping sound is coming from. I can stick all four fingers in the tear. After I greased it I took it for a spin. The popping sound was lessened but still there. I think I may have a worn Kingpin bushing. " thanks Clay James" I will be busting into it this week.

Blueduce

Thanks Clay. Does the TM just have the allowable amount or does it actually show you how to check for the "End Play". I have never done this before and would appreciate some help/guidance. I tried to search "end play" on SS and got nothing. How do I check for end play. Thanks.

Clay James

TM 9-2320-361-34 shows both the wear limit and how to check end play. Basically all you need to do is take the spindle off and remove the axle shaft, then get a pry bar, jack stand and dial indicator.

Blueduce

Is there anywhere other than SS resources page that I can find this TM. I have been trying to download this TM's pdf all day. I can't get it to download any further that 3.36... All other TM pdf's download with no problem.

Blueduce

Got it.. I had to much other crap open on my pc. I closed everything and the TM loaded right up. Thanks for the help and sorry for the drama. Boy do I feel like a boot. I still have a question about this dial indicator needed for the end play test. Do I need one or can I make one or how do I get one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks