• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Popping sound: looking for advice in Northeast Ohio.

Capriceii

Fellow Brothers and Sisters of the Green Beasts,

I am once again at my wits end. Last year she developed a noise in the front right are when shifting, sounds like a pop just about every rotation.

After towing her home I parked her in her spot for the winter and let her sit.

I have finally gotten some free time to start to trouble shoot, I started by dropping the Front Drive shaft.

Then I moved her, I can sorta hear the original noise, but now I am hearing all kinds of noises, and I have no clue what the heck is going on.

I could really use some assistance in trouble shooting this issue.

I need my Fix of driving the truck.

We could even make it a mini Rally:)

Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you all and Thank those that keep the forum going!

Travis

ToddJK

I was just down in OH a couple weeks ago. A video would definitely help. I'm sure some new noises developed since sitting, probably just things that need to be lubricated and rusty surfaces. If you get the truck to make it's "pop" sound on video, I would also describe if you feel it and if so, where, such the steering wheel, shifter, the whole truck, ect. I do know you have quite a few members around you so I'm sure if someone is free'd up they might try to look at it or help you on it anyways.

ToddJK

I thought I heard a "cha-chink" in the first video while reversing in the beginning. It didn't look like there was a bump or anything.

Bad U-joints can make sounds like that. Once the needle bearings fail, there will be play in the joint and can cause a cha-chink type of sound. Sometimes you can rotated the drive shaft back and forth if there isn't a lot of pressure on it. With everything in N and depending if it's the front or rear, sometimes the tires have to be jacked up off the ground to get enough play. Rotating the shaft, it should be tight, some movement but not much, if there is any metal clinging sounds, it's the U-joints.
I'd also jack the front end off the ground and rotate the front tires one at a time and listen for odd clinking sounds or grinding sounds. If no sounds due to the lack of a load, feel for grinding or rough turning. I would think if you had a bad bearing, it would be a constant sound but not sure.
I'd also check for loose bolts on the front leaf spring and the grease points, perhaps there's a bad rubber boot/grommet.
Next I would check the dog bones on the rear to see if any fell off to the inside as this would make a clinking sounds when the axles articulate, even minor articulation.
That's all I can come up with at the moment.

Maybe do a very thorough walk around with the camera and give us a good look at the front end lead springs, rear suspension, and maybe some up close pics of the U-joints as you can usually see a bad one, I stress "usually", lol. An in cab video doing the same can't hurt either, but it's the best we can do without looking at it in person to try and help you solve the issue.

This would also be a good time to go through and grease every single zert on the truck.

I'd come down to help, but that's about 4.5 hr or so drive and my schedule is tight with the kiddos.

Last edited:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I heard the popping. Sounds like everytime you shift and get on the gas, it does it.

What I'd check:

Front axle internal shaft U-joint, left & right. (Seen one come apart)
Front drive shaft joints.
Intermediate (shorty) drive shaft joints.
Motor and transfer mounts.
Front spring mounts, on frame & axle.

That is a start.

Capriceii

I heard the popping. Sounds like everytime you shift and get on the gas, it does it.

What I'd check:

Front axle internal shaft U-joint, left & right. (Seen one come apart)
Front drive shaft joints.
Intermediate (shorty) drive shaft joints.
Motor and transfer mounts.
Front spring mounts, on frame & axle.

That is a start.

I am going to start with this list:)

I will document what I find.

Thank you!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks