• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

poppop,s M37 restore thread

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
This project is going to get slowed down tremendously. I had a shot in my back last Friday to relieve the pain and the Doctor said it should last 3 months. Well it lasted 2 days and on my follow up visit today he set up surgery for the 18th. He is going to fuse three vertibra in my lower back. I will be house bound for 1 to 2 weeks and then 6 weeks just able to drive and supervise the farm. Efrain will have his hands full just keeping the farm going so I don't expect much to get done on the truck. I do hope to get the hood and cab painted before I get layed up but we will see.
Lloyd, I don't know chit from shinola about much of anything but if Efrain needs me to come get in his way I would be honored to help you/him anyway I can.
Also, if you/he get ambushed and need help I can prolly organize a "CAMO work weekend" and come help with whatever needs to be done.:beer:

Heck...maybe we can even drag that slacker ZOUT along with us to keep the Crown flowing.:razz:

In other words...just because you're temporarily down don't mean you're out!

Attachments

poppop

Thankyou guys very much!! I have a couple friends here who will help keep the farm running while i am laid up. I have helped them in the past and they are up to helping me. The truck is in great shape and will be there waiting when I get better. I hope this surgery will be a great help as I have had this problem for several years. I have not been able to particpate in the Ga Rally as I would have liked to because of the pain. The time I put in the MKT the last couple years was tough because I could not stay on my feet for very long with out a lot of pain. I enjoyed doing it and that made it worthwhile.

poppop

I have started putting the puzzle back together. Yesterday I got most of the brackets back on the frame as well as the front bumpers. I am having a little trouble with the front fender brackets. This truck was a non winch truck but came to me with a winch, frame extensions and winch truck front bumper. If the front most front bumper bracket goes where I think it does then the frame extensions are missing a hole. There is a hole in the frame but not one in the extension. Can someone confirm that the front bracket has one bolt through the frame extension?? I also seem the be missing one front bracket but it has to be here somewhere. I sometimes thisk I have visitors who move things around just to confound me.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I have started putting the puzzle back together. Yesterday I got most of the brackets back on the frame as well as the front bumpers. I am having a little trouble with the front fender brackets. This truck was a non winch truck but came to me with a winch, frame extensions and winch truck front bumper. If the front most front bumper bracket goes where I think it does then the frame extensions are missing a hole. There is a hole in the frame but not one in the extension. Can someone confirm that the front bracket has one bolt through the frame extension?? I also seem the be missing one front bracket but it has to be here somewhere. I sometimes thisk I have visitors who move things around just to confound me.

Ah...looks like you have finally met the bolt and small parts fairy!!
He flys around Georgia and steals bolts and small parts from any on-going project he comes across.

On occassion he will return a wrench or tool he took on his last trip but will indeed steal something else in it's place.

I've been dealing with this for years but he NORMALY just takes bolts and parts that you can get by without or are semi-easily replaced.

Attachments

zout

Wow - that is a never ending issue - where did I put that. What makes it worse is if your not the one who took something apart in the first place and then put the puzzle together - you know something goes there - try to figure out what it should look like and then how it needs to be mounted up. In most cases it should have been the first piece mounted and now you have to take it all back apart to mount that piece. But I think that only happens to me.

poppop

I this case if i have to drill that hole then I will have to diassemble the front bumper again, but I have not tightened any bolts yet so no big deal. My PM box has room now Dave.

poppop

Well the parts Fairy felt really bad about taking my bracket and causing me so much trouble. I had a few minutes today to mess with the truck and when I walked up to it low and behold there was that bracket laying on the drum holding up the truck right beside where it needs to be installed. And those holes that match those other brackets but need one drilled out, Well wait a minute, what are these two bolts on the radiator support for???? Fits perfect and I did today in 20 minutes what I wasted two hours trying to do Friday. Just goes to show you sometimes you just need to walk away and enjoy the cherries for a while.:eek:

poppop

Baby steps compared to Commander Warp but I did get the power pack back in its proper place. Spent most of the day working on the inside of the tailgate. Lots of filling and sanding but it is almost done. It certainly will not be like new but from a distance will be very presentable. I will try to finish it tomorrow. Most of next week will be tied up getting things lined up for Efrain to be in charge while I am laid up.

100_2794 (Small).JPG100_2795 (Small).JPG

zout

Lloyd - I really like that color. From the pics it looks like a very nice Satin color tint. Those epoxies harden up after a couple days - if their in the sun it takes about a day.

I know I get hammered on about what I get done in a short period of time - but that's just how I work. I have no concern about trying to compete with anyone - I just know what I have to get done and already "see" it done - now to just
get to that point. Keep them pictures coming of your progress - great thread. And there's still no way I'm parking any of my stuff next to yours - it'll put it all to shame (besides PB has almost all my fleet).

3dAngus

PopPop, did you ever imagine when you first purchased this it would be so involved and look so good. This is just an amazing job and I am so envious. I cannot imagine you selling vegetables off the back without having tons of customers line up just to see it. What a fantastic job and I have so thourally enjoyed watching the progress and improvements you and Efrain have made over time with envy.

Take care. I hope all goes well for you and a speedy recovery. If I can do anything, have Efrain give me a call and I'll be there with sleeping bag. I'm good for a few days on the farm, though, I'm not the qualified precision tractor driver, I can quickly learn anything.

3dAngus

He said he is doing well, but that old fella might be a fibber McGhee. I haven't heard back from him on my very last email.
I hope all is well. I'm going to write him again. and if that doesn't work, drive on over there (2 hours) and check with Efrain.
He did say what was killing him was getting out to look at the crop fields and NOT be able to get involved.

poppop

Hello All

My back is doing well but my hip is hurting bad. I started out with the hip Doctor and he wanted to fix my back first and see if it helped the hip. Well so far it has not helped the hip and now since the back does not hurt I guess I notice the hip more. I am back on pain meds and that helps.

I have not done anything stupid but I have been doing small things on the truck. The brake lines are mostly installed and Efrain set the transfer case in so I have all the linkages hooked up. The winch was in pieces when I got it so I have it cleaned up and the new seals should be in Today. If so then I will get it together and ready to paint and install on the truck. I picked up the radiator from the shop yesterday and will get Efrain to install it when he has a break from farm work. The next heavy job is to get the front axle back together and get the wheels on but Efrain will have to do that. He still needs to paint the cab, hood and tailgate but he really has his hands full trying to keep the farmwork done. Oh well, it is setting in a good place and will be done when its done.

Thanks for all the kind thoughts

poppop

I have been spending some time every day on the winch. As I stated earlier it came in a bucket all disassembled and was very intimidating looking at all those parts. Well it actually is quite simple and after cleaning and handling the parts it became obvious how it went together. I found a site that had cross referenced the seals to CR or NAPA numbers so I took them to my bearing supplier and ordered them. One number was wrong, the seal for the clutch shaft was to big but he took measurements and had one on the shelf. The old seals were real thick so I installed two new seals in each location it replace the old ones. The previous owner had purchased a replacement main shaft and brass gear assembly and I had to file the keys to get the clutch dog to go on and slide freely. All the old bushings were tight and showed no signs of wear. I was going to finish assembly yesterday but the clutch did not operate properly. I had not pulled the clutch shaft out because it appeared to be OK. When I pulled it out yesterday apparently someone had really abused it trying to engauge and disinguage it because the set screw hole in the fork was elongated which allowed the shaft to rotate some in the fork. I came home and got on e-pay and found an NOS fork for twelve bucks plus $7.95 shipping so it will be here in a few days. Turns out it is coming fro Sam Weiner parts. I did not find a shaft but I think I can repair the hole in the old one. I apparently do not have the top tie plate that holds the winch together. It has one piece of angle iron that fits the holes so that must have been what held this one together. In my reading this plate is very important as it keeps everything in alinement when the winch is being used. Without this the winch can twist and put the main shaft in a bind and break something. I will spend a little time today on the computer looking for one but if I don't find one I can build my own. I did think I had seen this plate but two searchs yesterday did not reveal one. I will look again today as the parts jenie may have just been having some more fun at my expence. It won't be the first time that has happened.

So I think I will have the winch completed and ready for paint by the end of the week. Today I think I will take a look at the steering gear box to see if it needs any attention.

zout

Sounds like you still have your hands in it Lloyd - awesome. The simplicity but yet how intricate some of these older units are is simply amazing mechanical marvels.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks