• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

POR 15, CARC, Rusfree...here we go!

SuperchargedRS

I am going to be painting my m1009 in a few days and I just want to make sure that I am not overlooking anything

I going to CARC the outside (3 gal, one of each color, using gun and a 2 part primer for any bare metal)

Rusfree (1 gal of the super thin penetrating one, and 1 gal of the thick sound deading one) for the between the body panels and the floor. (using the Rusfree undercoating gun and flex wand)

POR 15 the undercarriage/axles/tank with 1gal black POR15 (using a brush)

POR 15 header coating for my manifolds and the a few feet of the exhaust system, then I will use CARC for the remainder (using brush for POR15 and gun for CARC)

I also got a aerosol can of black brake paint for my calipers and drums (it says it is rated to 500f, forgot the brand though)

The only thing I am not sure about if what to do about the engine?? Does anyone have any suggestions as to the materials/procedures to paint my 6.2??
ALSO am I missing or misguided anywhere here!!

Thanks,
-SuperchargedRS

*I will post pics for the process for anyone interested in this expected fine exaple of overkill lol!

SuperchargedRS

So do you think it is necessary to paint the engine with the truck in northern snow areas??

I have been asking myself this, I would like the peace of mind (as I have put allot into this thing), but on the other hand this truck is not left outside, and when it is outside it has a cover on it, along with spraying it down after driving it in the snow.

So is it necessary, also do I really need 1200f paint? seems a bit high, I got that POR 15 ceramic header paint for the exhaust manifolds, but I didn’t think I would need as high of a rating for the bottom end, heads and intake mani?

AJMBLAZER

Make sure you follow all of the prep steps for the POR15. I've used it several times and you get out of it what you put into it.

SuperchargedRS

Will that not make a very crisp line between colors???

I would like to be able to have a little transition between colors, like the factory paint.

Does anyone know if a automotive gun like a SHARPE model 71 can produce a tight enough pattern to be able to trace the existing pattern??

SuperchargedRS

Did the M1009s have the bumpers and grille camo, or did they have them solid green, as my truck and most I have seen that havent been messed with seems to have solid bumpers and grilles?

Keith_J

would you guys know what the factory color of the motors were when they were built? I'm about to start a frame off restore on my m1009. I want to paint the motor as close as i can to the orig. color.

Solid black. I doubt any were painted, unlike the 150 mil DFT CARC coating nearly every military standard engine got :deadhorse:

If you have ever worked on a M35A2 engine, you know what I am talking about. Wrenches won't fit because the CARC is too thick.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks