• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

POR15 VS Sherwinn Williams 2part epoxy primer

Elohim1

I am having a truck sandblasted and was going to use POR15 on the axle and frame. Now I am considering just using the 2part epoxy primer(recommended under CARC) by Sherwin Williams on the frame, axles and body. Then Painting everything CARC.

My Question would be is the 2part epoxy primer just as good of rustproof as the POR15.

E90 H 226 is the # for the primer

Thanks
Chris

rdixiemiller

The 2 part epoxy primer should be applied over a conversion coating for maximum corrosion resistance. This can be any of the normally available types, wash primers, Metal Prep, OsPho, etc. The idea is to convert the surface iron to an iron phosphate. The phosphorous combines with the iron very tightly, making it harder to rust. MCLB Albany uses this method on their rebuilds. I believe the POR 15 already does a surface conversion, so it would be fine as well. Just remember to get the metal coated as soon as possible after sandblasting, to keep flash rusting from occuring. A properly sandblasted, conversion coated, 2K epoxy primed, topcoated steel surface should last many years without rusting.
Remember, you paint pretreatment, not the metal.