• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Portable AC for m1009

hotcorner216

I have been doing research on putting in an aftermarket or picking an AC from my local yard but, I was thinking of using my portable AC, haven't needed it since I moved, it already has a vent hose to run out of the truck (hose I used to run out of the house), I already have a 2300W converter I had laying around....would a set up work if I add a third battery in the rear of the truck with our dual alternators? Should I upgrade the alternators? I was even thinking of adding a solar panel to charge the batteries when I'm not driving, obviously the AC would only be used when I'm driving, has anyone set this up before? It's an 11000 BTU ac...any advise on this set up?

Keith_J

2300 watts? The alternators have a peak output of around 2500 watts. 15 amps at 120 volts is 1800 watts. One alternator won't handle it.

Keith_J

Only if it a 24 volt powered unit, therefore it would run off both alternators. Still, the issue is continuous output of alts, not peak. These are 100 amp units, they are good for 60 amps steady state, 40 amps at idle.

shkira

11K BTU is not even 1 ton of cooling! Too little if you consider the incredible heat load you are trying to offset; no insulation in floors or roof; color of vehicle; solar load through the many windows, heat gain from engine, tranny, exhaust pipes, road surface.

For consideration the old A6 axial compressor (the log) puts out around 35K BTUs, 42K BTUs peak -- not sure about some of the smaller radial units but if I recall somewhere in the vicinity of 22k BTUs?

I wouldn't recommend this route unless you are way up north and have extremely few days where the temps get above 70. Put a thermometer in the CUCV when you are out and about and note that the temps in the truck are higher than outside and that is even with the windows down. Also think about how hot it is in the car if its been sealed up in the sun. Don;t think this system would be able to remove the heat in any reasonable amount of time.