• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Posible MEP-803A Cable Chafing

warf

Hello all;
So, I was replacing the diesel water separator on my 803A (what a pain) and decided to open the side panel because I didn't feel comfortable messing with the control panel. Long story short (too late) the was a cable rubbing against the frame of the generator. Pictures follow:

cable.jpg
chafing.jpgfix.jpg
I thought I'd post it here because I'm guessing is not a part of the generator that people look into often. This last picture hopefully gives a better view of which panel I removed.
side.jpg

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had to do the same fix on a new Mahindra tractor where they routed the positive cable from battery to the starter. It stuck out to me like a sore thumb so I cut and split a short piece of old garden hose and used it as wire loom to protect the cable......6 years so far and all is good.

Hopefully you taped up the worn through part of your cable to mitigate moisture infiltration to the copper wire within.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What do you run for a Mahindra? I've been tractor shopping lately...
I have a 6530 4WD purchased in 2012.

Honestly, I wouldn't buy another Mahindra, getting parts ( at least for that model ) has been difficult. I also very much dislike the way it was wired. Too much wire ( flimsy wire ) floating in space, not enough thought into routing or clips to fasten to.
I also had a major failure of the front casting ( clearly a defective casting, with visible voids )......the tractor broke in half, shearing off the input spline on the front axle pinion shaft. I actually had a new casting, obtained from the dealer as a replacement from when the dealer's transportation guy cracked off a piece of the front of it trying to secure it on a flatbed when it was going back for a minor servicing. That casting cost the dealer over $1000 dollars......so I managed to replace it myself and get the tractor running, but only 2WD. Just the ring and pinion for the front axle along with all the parts to replace it will cost me well over $2500......that's not including any labor costs if so I'm just running 2WD until that's fixed.....and man do I miss the 4WD!!!
The tractor was just 5 months out of the five year warranty period and Mahindra would do nothing for me, despite very clear photos of the defect being sent directly to corporate HQ.

Their refusal to take at least some responsibility for the defect and work with me on the issue has probably cost them half a million dollars or more because I've already talked ten or more local farmers out of buying their products.

I'm totally done with Mahindra. I highly suggest you look at other brands.

TxFordGuy

Another vote for steering clear of Mahindra. My neighbor has one and parts are a b*tch to find. Its not even that old and he canot even get a radiator hose. Spend the little extra and get you big namers. I have a 2003 Kubota L3130. I was leary of the hydrostatic but now would never go back to anything else.

mciikurzroot

Supporting Vendor
22 yo JD Green 4600 for me and every single "problem" has been my fault. not once JD am now also going to replace it with only 805 hours but i just want a new one, no other reason.. mac/mc

dav5

22 yo JD Green 4600 for me and every single "problem" has been my fault. not once JD am now also going to replace it with only 805 hours but i just want a new one, no other reason.. mac/mc
JD2250 bought used in the mid 90's with 215 hours. Replaced the clutch last year at 2400 hrs. Otherwise never any repairs. I was at the dealership last week for filters and the mechanics were gathered around having morning coffee. They all said don't ever sell that tractor it is the last of JD's work horse tractors. I looked at Kubota and have a few non tractor Kubota products. They make a great product but I find their tractors are not as heavily built as JD although I suspect the new JD's are similarly built compared to the Kubota.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks