• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Possible 1010 project in the making

moose1008

I have the opportunity to pick up a ambulance body and frame with the rear end, no cab or front end. I want to turn this into a Overland vehicle, and use it to go camping with the kids.. My question is can a cab from a regular truck be modified to work? Any pictures of similar projects, and maybe the inside of the cab showing the back wall area so to see the differance in a 1010 and a regular truck would be nice.. along with any advice

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M1010 was simply a 1 ton cab/chasis that the ambulance body was added to so yes you can use a regular one. You'll need to remove the rear window of course then cut the cab back for the walk thru door. I'm not sure about reinforcing the cab after the cut or how you'll seal the area between the body and cab but it is doable.

moose1008

is the rear window like a solid plate? and doesn't the body have a rubber seal that goes all the away around, kind of like the ones on a camper shell back in the day that you could take the back window of the truck out.

gijoe13

1309191743770.jpg Here is a picture of the back of my cab. I would just seal the front of the ambulance boby and use a regular cab if you want to use it as a camper. There is a gasket that goes between the cab and the door. The window area is filled in with sheetmetal.

chevymike

Also, the rear of the frame was extended an extra foot. The box is 9' long versus a truck 8' bed. I agree, unless you need some reason to use the pass though, just seal it up and use a standard truck cab. The cab seal they used was VERY heavy duty and not sure how easy it would be to source.

moose1008

thanks guy this is great info and pic.. thinking the sealing off of the door on the front of the body is the way i will go.. unless of course a 1010 cab falls from the sky..lol

K9Vic

Ahh yeah I know of what you are talking about. I would just seal the walk through door as noted. This will also allow you to have a full bench seat for three people over only two with bucket seats. Plus it would be harder to find the bucket seats over the bench seat.

If you buy it and do not need the red cross inserts I would be interested in those. I do not think the large one you coudl ship, but the two smaller ones should be shippable.

moose1008

ok i will keep you in mind on the crosses.. and another good point on the seats. right now im and just trying to get as much info and peoples thoughts before buying it. in my mind the idea sounds good and on paper even better, but i know some times not everything that sounds good is really fisable

1StumpJumper

Not trying to hijack, I just found out about a M1010 minus drivetrain that I was thinking of using my M1008.

I was about to ask the same question. [thumbzup] Subscribed.

quickfarms

It sounds like all you have is the frame, rear axle and box. If you could find a complete 1 ton 4x4 you could transfer the box and other hardware onto the new truck or strip the complete truck to Finnish this truck.

You need the cab, front fenders, hood, radiator support,wiring harness, engine, trans, transfer case, front axle, and other small parts.

Last edited:

moose1008

i have a 1028 and had thought about just pulling the bed off of it and putting the body, but aren't the frames differant? at the first part of this thread it was mentioned that the 1010 frame was extended an extra foot. plus if i bought a complete 1010 i wouldn't want to convert it to an overland type rig for the simple fact of it being original.. this way I can build it the way i want too, and not have to miss up a classic so to speak...

Last edited: