• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Possible bad ground, but which? Happens when brake applied.

wisconsinz

My stereo loudly pops my speakers and my gen 2 light flashes when I brake. From what i've read both of these things can be related to a bad earth ground, but I've checked a few obvious spots already. I can't figure out which ground would be associated with applying the brake from looking at the schematic. Any ideas?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When it comes to CUCV's the best thought is , if it's rubber replace it , if it's electrical clean it.
When you take the tailights out there is a ground on each one , there is also grounds on each front light , all should be cleaned . How is the stereo wired you may want to post pictures of the wire job , that may be where the problem is.

Edit; how much rust id on the body .

MarcusOReallyus

The prime suspect for that would be the 6-prong ground up under the dash on the parking brake mount. Remove, clean to shiny metal, lube with dielectric grease, reassemble.

A general cleanup of all your battery cabling wouldn't be a bad thing.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Concur on the star ground above the park brake. Following advice from here, I inspected that and found nothing was attached to it. Cleaned it up good, attached the wires that were supposed to go there, what a difference. Turn signals, gauges, voltmeter, bunch of stuff works now. I think its safe to assume that any CUCV is wired incorrectly by previous owners, in some fashion.

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

Concur on the star ground above the park brake. Following advice from here, I inspected that and found nothing was attached to it. Cleaned it up good, attached the wires that were supposed to go there, what a difference. Turn signals, gauges, voltmeter, bunch of stuff works now. I think its safe to assume that any CUCV is wired incorrectly by previous owners, in some fashion.
[thumbzup]

Some of them are painted incorrectly, too.

:mrgreen: