• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Possible barn find....what could it be

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Today I was perusing the local Buy/Sell magizine and I see: "Army 2-Ton truck. 4x4, front and back winches, diesel, 5 speed with low/high range". :shock:
I gave the guy a call and its' one of those "it belonged to Dad and we used it on the farm" stories. 8)
He said it has a steel flatbed with uprights along the sides. It has a big winch mounted behind the cab. He said he thought it has 6 lugnuts which means deuce.
Continental multifuel engine (he wasn't sure about a turbo).
He also said it has zero brakes which might make it difficult to get home (it's about 30 miles from here)
Any ideas about what this might be :?: Pipeline truck?
He's asking $3500.00 for it.
I had my knee operated on today so it might be a few days before I can get over to look at it.
I don't have a digital camera with me but I will try to get some pics some way.
any feedback will be appreciated.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If its stock, it sounds like a pipeline truck. Pipeline trucks had a wood floor in the bed though. Worthy of a check though!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
$3,500 sounds high.
The steel flat bed with uprights sounds homemade, perhaps the winch was added also.
As far as towing it, using a towbar shouldn't be a problem. For 30 miles at low speed your towing vehicle (deuce) should be able to handle it, IMHO.

Hope you recovery from the operation goes well.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I really like the cane in the shot shows the age of the truck real well.... nice find and funny how the dud backed up and bent the right taillights and the left mudflap. Nice to know it is going to a Steel Soldier hope you find one soon.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alright! Another one saved from the barn! Glad to hear Mr. Doyle got the truck, he would definitely give it a good home!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Recovery...sorry that is all of the pics that turned out.
David is supposed to let me know when the pipeline duece is going to be picked up. If it is when I am up here I will assist if needed and shoot some more pics.
If it had been in better physical shape it would be sitting in my yard now :)
Since I need a truck that is ready to go I let this one pass and put it out on the fourm where it could be rescued.
I keep my eyes open for orphan MV's that need a good home.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Well guys - today I finally saw my new truck. Wreckerman really helped me out with the lead on this. The former owner was very agreeable about storing it until I could work out transport. A friend of mine was going to pick it up, but we could never coordinate things, so ulitimately Memphis Equipment picked it up for me (thanks guys) and brought it up here while I was at Aberdeen with you guys. Today, I at last had enough slack time to take the 20 minute ride to see it. (sorry, no pix). The truck is really in good shape after a quick once over look. It runs, but has a leaking fuel tank. The passenger door will be replaced with one from a parts truck. The right rear light cluster needs to be welded back on, one of the side boards needs to be straightened, and the bed and chassis really should be sandblasted and painted. All "one of these days" projects. The truck even has a good bit of its OVM still in place.

It is NOT a M756A2, but rather a 1965 M45A2 with separately installed bed.

In a few days I'll try to get some pix up - and also post a "wish list" of items needed. All in all I am VERY pleased, THANKS AGAIN Wreckerman for the lead.

Sincerely,
David "if its an odd deuce I want it" Doyle

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
David...glad to help and glad that someone saved the truck from the chicken house it was residing in.
There is still a yellow gasser 5-ton wrecker and a camo Mack powered diesel wrecker that need good homes not far from where David got the pipeline deuce. Check my previous post for pics.
If I hadn't won the deuce I would have been on "Old Yeller" like a hobo on a ham sandwich.
If I find any more "orphans" I'll put them up for adoption too.