• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Possible bearing grease leak?

TexAndy

The only issues I'm AWARE of on the truck is some apparent leaking on one of the rear axle grease bearing thingys. Looks like a little pool of oil resting on the inside of the wheel rim. I'll take a picture tomorrow.

A friend of mine gave me this response:

Oh darn it! Those are the inner bearing seals. The bearings have 2 seals, one on the axle shaft and another inside the hub. The differential is lubed with gear oil, the bearings by grease. When the inner seal leaks, the grease gets contaminated with oil. It can cause bearing failure. I will assume it is leaking out the inner seal, this means the axle shaft has to be pulled, then the hub pulled. Clean and regrease the bearings (standard grease is called GAA, grease, automotive and artillery) but good lithium based stuff is fine. You can make flange seals, it is just a punch and cut job OR clean it well and use silicone. But rotating seals need replacing if you have gear oil issues and the inner plus outer may need it.

Got a jack and stands? And the bearing nut wrench...a big socket (sorry, don't recall the size) plus the OVM tools (got the TM?) are all that is required. If the inner wheel bearing seal needs changing, the seal seat may also be fried. It is replaceable collar..hope you know of a good parts place. If you have time, the rear wheel bearing socket can be made with a piece of pipe and some bar stock. Get a pipe with the right ID and weld 6 bars around the end to make the socket, works fine.
I don't even know enough for this to be much help. He's going to come help me work on it, but I need to know what tools/parts to get for preparation.

What exactly do I need and where can I find it? I have a welder buddy I can probably get to help me make the rear wheel bearing socket, but other than that...

What's OVM tools? And which TM would he be referring to?

Any help at all would be most appreciated.

-Andy

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your buddy has experience with the deuce for sure. He is mostly right in his observations but there are a few details I'd like to add. The wheel bearing socket is 3" and 8 sided and available and many truck supply centers and most NAPA auto parts stores. His inner and outer seal observation right except there are some different reasons for this. One of them is the axle vent on the housing. If this clogs up, it will force gear oil to escape through otherwise good seals. That back seal that is pressed onto the spindle is a grease seal and is normally not at fault. Once oil gets to the bearings, that seal being a grease not oil seal will let it come right out. The outer seal also has a cork wedge that goes in the keyway and is largely responsible for this type of leak. DO a search on here and you will find many threads dealign with this and many picture tutorials from other members.

Wolf.Dose

It can happen on any axle and is not a specific Deuce problem. Some reasons: old and hard seals, worn in surfaces where the seal is running on, overpacking the bearings with gease. The last is obvious: The grease gets warm and therefore expands, means it need extra space. The lowest resistance is passing the seal lip, so it will find this way into the brake.
Wolf

Brock Steel

Very typical with this truck. I've had 4 leaks already. Easy fix. Get a couple of gasket kits for future leaks. Also get a front axle kit too. Pick up a set of shoes and brake cylinder just in case you find that you need them when you pull the brake drum off its nice to have all the parts Handy. I picked up a set of four on e bay for 45 buck's and 6 cylinders for 120.

Attachments

Last edited: