• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Possible Deuce Purchase

Tlauden

Well, Just got back from Colemans.... Bought me the Deuce!!!!!:shock::razz::razz::razz: I called them before Went there, they pulled it out and had it running ready for me to take a test spin around the yard. well i guess that just pushed me over the line from wanting it to needing it! well after a forty min test drive:oops::driver:(on their property) i managed to get it stuck on a muddy hill, engaged the front drive and away she went. The mechanic showed me around the truck and did point out a half dollar sized hole in the exhaust right below where it goes through the fender. no big deal. The air system held pressure right about 90PSI the whole time. Engine temp gauge said it was running a little hot (200+ degrees after my drive) The mechanic said thats not right and we popped the hod, took the rad cap off, and the fluid was warm. no where near 200. (yes i felt it so i know he wasnt lying). Generator gauge stayed in the green the whole time. Fires up real fast, holding the button about 3 secs she will fire up.

I stalled it once :oops: oops. Shifted to soon going up hill. And shifting down into first kept getting me, grinding is not a pretty sound:shock::oops:

Sorry for such a long post, But its my first deuce! And I gotta thank EVERYONE here on this site for all the great info, You all let me be able to drive this earlier without looking like someone who has no clue what there doing.

Sadly it wont come home with me until the end of March/Early April. Im giving them a good sized down payment to hold it for me, then once my income tax check gets here it will be 100% mine. In the mean time they will get a tittle for it, they are going to send in the paper work to the state ASAP,

Info from the Data Plate, can anyone encode this to find any additional info from these numbers??? J/W

ID No. 04J-02869-0325-21347
Stock No. 2320-077-1616
Contract No. DA AE 06-68-C-0007

Tlauden

I started a new thread in "Members Rides", due to i didnt think this was the proper forum (now that i actually bought it)to talk about this. please post any comments there:D:D

Thanks
Tyler

paulfarber

So you paid $1600 more than a GL deuce, it needs a new temp gauge, pioneer rack, j-pipe and no title, no cold weather starting unit (do you live in pa?) Deduct $300 for no cargo bows.

Plus it 'fired up real fast' becuase they spent the entire morning trying to get it to start. I would have felt the block and if it was warm, came back in a few hours when it was cold. This is the oldest used car trick in the book.

If they fixed all the issues noted, and YOU ARE NOT PAYING FOR A TITLE, JUST A TRANSFER, then you got a C- deal.

So you paid $1600 more than a GL deuce, it needs a new temp gauge, pioneer rack, j-pipe and no title, no cold weather starting unit (do you live in pa?) Deduct $300 for no cargo bows.

Plus it 'fired up real fast' becuase they spent the entire morning trying to get it to start. I would have felt the block and if it was warm, came back in a few hours when it was cold. This is the oldest used car trick in the book.

If they fixed all the issues noted, and YOU ARE NOT PAYING FOR A TITLE, JUST A TRANSFER, then you got a C- deal.
WOW...Debbie Downer.

Tlauden

It's all good, I understand where your coming from on this issue, my only thing was buying from GL is a risk that I didn't feel comfortable taking on my first purchase. While I relize the local GL is close to me I don't know what a wrecker would charge to tow it back if it's DOA. Though I'm sure it's not cheap. The cargo cover to me isn't a need so that's mo big deal, and for the little issues this one has I will enjoy getting a little wrench time on it. And with Saturn surplus parts 15 min away if I ever need a part in a hurry I can go there. All in all I'm satisfied with the deal I got 8)

paulfarber

Saturn and Colmans are probably the highest priced for parts. Diesel is just under $4 a gallon so I would shop around for best prices if you want to keep it fed.

Your truck could spin a bearing, shoot a rod or snap a crank tomorrow. Colemans warranty covers that?

If funds are not a issue then ok, but you are saying you got a good deal. You got a below average deal.. heck you don't even have a title yet. Who's paying the title fee, then who's paying the transfer fee?

I'm failing to see any difference in a GL truck vs this truck that was litterally sitting in a field at a private sellers place. You saw ONE truck and bought it. Ft. Drum, Carlisle, Mechancisburg, Annevill, Ft. Mead all list trucks regularly.

You got the same guarantee with GL as you have with Colemans... NONE. But you somehow think that $1600+ bought you a better truck? Its the exact same GL truck you can buy off any GL lot.. for 50% less.

Are you saying your 40 minute ride was worth $1600 to prove that it runs? Heck, I'll only charge you $500 to drive mine around :)

I am not hating on anyone.... just being objective... you got a average truck at 2x going rate.

Tlauden

Yes, and while I completely understand what your saying, couldn't any truck on here develop any of those problems tomorrow?

And I appreciate the info you gave me, I havent signed any papers yet to take ownership of this vehicle and I am goin back to colemans Tuesday and will fire the truck up cold (you brought up a good point about them starting it:neutral:) and check a few other items.

No hard feelings, criticism is a good thing every now and again

Thanks
Tyler

Tlauden

Yes, and while I completely understand what your saying, couldn't any truck on here develop any of those problems tomorrow?

And I appreciate the info you gave me, I havent signed any papers yet to take ownership of this vehicle and I am goin back to colemans Tuesday and will fire the truck up cold (you brought up a good point about them starting it:neutral:) and check a few other items.

No hard feelings, criticism is a good thing every now and again

Thanks
Tyler

jluv1185

Trust your gut.... If it doesn't feel right just walk away. Don'y mess up and buy it because you really want a deuce, and this one's right here in front of you. There are plenty out there. But if everything checks out, and you're happy with the deal by all means finalize it Welcome aboard!!!! Just look before you leap is all... Good luck. :beer:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Deuces in GA sell for $3500 from private sellers (not dealers) all day long. We've recovered several from GL with big issues as well as nice runners for half that. The parts you need pioneer rack, gauge,non turbo j-pipe, cold weather starting hoses; are easy to find cheap. If you don't have the ability to do a recovery yourself, I don't think it's a bad price. No one is going to give you a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty on a $3500 truck. At least you know it runs/drives. As long as the title works out I'd say go gor it. Now all you'd need is a towbar and lights and you could recover your 2nd from GL.[thumbzup]

paulfarber

The real reason is that A LOT of people jump into MVs all doe eyed... they get a truck and quickly get bitten by the fact that they are not 'consumer' level vehicles that have been made as 'hands off' as possible.

Other than gas you have little else to do to a modern car till it breaks down in 100k miles.

Now compare that to *ANY* MV... they ALL have hefty maintenance requirements. Just starting an M35 is a 10-15 minute affair at first start (walk around).

So when I read about all this money being spent on a 'good runners', trucks with no titles, guys with no tools, I think its disingenuous when they all say 'good buy' (unless they too, are doe eyed new owners).

You know that you don't get any tools to change a spare? Get a flat on a steer tire and you have no tools to remove the spare (you did get a spare?)raise the flat, a Budd wrench to take the lugs off etc etc. Missing the tools? That $100-150 right there. AAA ain't gonna touch a 14,000 tri axle and most tow shops won't either... you will need a big tow truck at several $100 an hour becuase you don't have the money for basic tire changing tools..... all because you got a 'good deal'.

I all find it disingenuous that the 'old hats' around here also don't make such recommendations. Maybe they have trucks for sale, or simply don't care. I really don't care either, but will give my advice as ' be informative' is one of the tenants of this great site.

tm america

Saturn and Colmans are probably the highest priced for parts. Diesel is just under $4 a gallon so I would shop around for best prices if you want to keep it fed.

hmm?really saturn surplus has been the most reasonably priced on 90% of the parts i bought .. Maybe you're comparing used parts to new.Why don't you call boyce or white owl and price check em?
Doesn't matter where you buy it from things can go wrong .. Buy where you feel comfortable .Getting one from the gl is great if you have 6 months to wait to get a titled truck that you can't test drive before buying it.
Looks like a pretty clean truck .You'll have lots of fun with it :beer:

2deuce

I just sold a deuce, the guy that I sold it to didn't even open the hood. Just gave me the money and drove it about 200 miles home at night. It was a good runner, but the sale went so fast that I didn't think about tire changing tools or advise him about bringing his own. Having a flat in the night would be no fun and I don't know about you but I don't think I could lift one of those tires by myself back up on there. Maybe I could if it went just right but at night along the side of the road it doesn't sound good. It would be good to ask the seller to throw in a wrench, jack and to give you a short lesson on changing a tire and bring a buddy with, probably a few more ands I left out.

Tlauden

Again, thanks for the info, I have a sizable tool box loaded with tools so I'm not too worried about tools here at home, might have to go to harbor freight and get some additional tools only cause I don't wanna be carrying around all my good craftsman tools. And the trip from colemans to home will take about 15 mins... If I go the scenic route... So I'm not planning on needing any tools. I am slowly putting together a list of tools I wanna carry on the deuce, including a 20 ton bottle jack. Like said, I don't wanna be stranded somewhere with no way to change a flat.. Once I get the deuce home I'll complete my list of tools and take a ride down to harbor freight:):beer:

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks