• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Possible duel circuit fix

Section8

Interesting......
The air/hydraulic system looks. ...... different.
I might be missing something but it just looked like a hydro max MC bolted to a air brake pod with maxie for park brake.
How is that suppose to provide air actuated braking? Would be nice if the site had more write ups on their products.
The differing Hydro Max systems looked good. Different bore sizes to choose from or build to suit options.
Also complete air compressor systems for air brakes even proportional valves and brake lines.
Thanks for the link!
Definitely gives a person a few more options and for not to bad a price point.

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
A. Forewarning: I'm probably going to merge this thread with an existing "catch all" dual circuit engineering thread, where people have discussed all the various way it might be possible to upgrade the single circuit system. See: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?73346-Dual-Circuit-Brake-Engineering-Thread

B. The problem isn't sourcing a master cylinder or a boosting method (pressure, hydroboost, etc.) - it's getting a master to work in the very tight confines of the original master cylinder. The master cylinder is actuated by the brake pedal that is tied into the clutch pedal. Go crawl under your deuce and look at where the master is - the crossmember right behind it makes it a very compact fit. If it weren't for this, everyone would just buy the 1987-1989 dual circuit masters, buy a second airpack and go about their lives. The fabrication work necessary is beyond the skill of most people who aren't machinists.

C. Proof of how difficult this conversion is can be had in this: In the 10+ years I've been on SS, I've seen maybe 2 or 3 people upgrade their truck: m35-tom, who has skills and knowledge way beyond most of our members (myself included) and another member whose name I can't remember, who modified an M44A3 setup to work in his A2. I think hotroddeuce may have done his with some aftermarket setup as well. The fact that soooooo many people want to do this and basically no one has speaks to the challenges involved. It's like all the people who talk about putting 8, 9, etc. speed transmissions in their deuces and 5 tons: About every 6 months a new guy pops in and says "I bought a takeout road ranger and I'm gonna' make it work" and you never hear anything about it again.

D. I strongly believe that someone who owns a machine shop and can do complex work should just copy the 1987-1989 pedal / master mount and sell them, allowing buyers to source their own airpacks and masters.

HanksDeuce

Just a little history here. Power Brake Service is now run by Matthew Sweeting, the son of Bob Sweeting. They had a fallen out a few years back.

Bob sold me my Hydroboost split brake setup for my bobbed deuce. Either one would be fine to reach out to, but Bob has more experience.

Bob can be reached at 562-394-8218. Note that Bob can be a little difficult to deal with. Well worth the hassle.

Matt can be reached at 714-330-5286.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
Interesting......
The air/hydraulic system looks. ...... different.
I might be missing something but it just looked like a hydro max MC bolted to a air brake pod with maxie for park brake.
How is that suppose to provide air actuated braking? Would be nice if the site had more write ups on their products.
The differing Hydro Max systems looked good. Different bore sizes to choose from or build to suit options.
Also complete air compressor systems for air brakes even proportional valves and brake lines.
Thanks for the link!
Definitely gives a person a few more options and for not to bad a price point.
i think it mounts remotely and then you mount a air brake treadle valve on the pedal. i did that many years ago and space was really limited. current truck i put a 900 series valve on the firewall with a reinforcement plate, fairly easy, then used 2 air pacs. i could make kits but price would scare most people.

sandcobra164

Makes me wonder now. The M105 trailers have a airpack that actuates the master cylinder which actuates the brakes. I understand that system somewhat well. Did your system work somewhat like that or did you use Deuce airpacks? If so, I'm curious as to how that works. In my mind, the airpack on a deuce gets it's "signal" from the hydraulic pressure generated by the master cylinder and them amplifies that with air pressure applied to the back end of it. Wouldn't signaling the airpack with air pressure cause air to bleed into the hydraulics on the airpack at some point and cause hydraulic compression in the lines? I need to clarify that I'm not trying to be a jackwagon, I really am curious and I know you do some awesome work on your overdrive kits.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
the key to all this is it has to be extremely reliable. i used 2 air pacs and gutted them, plugged some holes and made them strictly air cylinder and master cylinder. i don't know if the system from a trailer would be safe enough to use on the primary vehicle, if it fails on a trailer the truck still has brakes. it may be, i have not looked at one for many years. on my current truck i used the system from a nissan UD box truck. got it used cheap and cleaned it up. problem is no spare parts are serviced separately and each m/cyl is $1000.

sandcobra164

I agree it needs to be reliable. I'm just brainstorming in my head and trying to find some answers. I have a friend whose stock deuce is plauged with brake issues and he is very safety conscious. We've changed everything but the hard lines and it still has trouble maintaining a pedal even when bleeding. He loves the way the brakes feel in my M923 so I'm considering pitching a similar idea to him. Upgrading the stock system to one that has fail safe systems in place. We even tossed around the idea of replacing the parking brake to a pinion brake setup which everybody know's is rough on the axles but sometimes stopping is way more important than machinery. It wouldn't be the primary brake but used for parking and emergency situations. If we can converse on upgrading the stock system, I'd love to hear your thoughts. I owned a Deuce for 6 years and while I would agree the brakes could have been better, they never failed on me. The front bumper had the exact same bend angles the day I sold it as it had on the day I picked it up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks