• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Possible M1009 Daily Driver

WolfHunter32

New to the site and wow this forum is full of good info. I know there are already a plethora of these threads for possible daily's but I want an opinion on the one I've found and my situation. So I recently sold my 2008 GMC Sierra and now I'm looking to replace it. I'm not really sure what I want. I want something older now with a few less creature comforts. I have been considering civilian K5s and C10s K10s. I found a pretty nice 2wd K5 that I like but then I was on Craigslist today and saw this 84 m1009 CUCV. Whatever I get will be my daily driver. I'm fairly handy with my wrenches for common issues but have now experience with the 6.2, only GM small blocks. My dad and I have talked about buying a CUCV blazer for a long time, to have for a bug out type/camping rig, and now that I am scaling back on my vehicles (no more payments), we may have that chance. I am a veteran and a police officer and think it would be pretty neat to have an old military vehicle to drive.

This truck looks pretty solid. The guy says it's converted to 12v from 24v, should I be worried about this? Any issues to look for? What does the push button glow plug conversion mean? What do you guys think about this one and what do you think about the price? Is the pintle on the back set up to tow a regular ball trailer too?

Also, the summers in Alabama can be very hot and jumping in the truck and getting a little air can be very refreshing, is it tough to install AC on these trucks? Also, I like to listen to tunes while I drive, is it difficult to install a cheap AM/FM radio and a couple speakers? What else do I need to worry about? He says in the Ad that it has rhino on the floors, will that deaden down the sound a tad? Is it possible to put some sound deadening in to quiet it down a bit? I know that the noise is probably part of the prestige of driving one of these but it is a daily driver and in order for my wife to want to ride i know she will probably want it a little more quiet in the truck.

What speeds are they capable of running? Highway speeds, interstate? It is my daily and I am fine riding in the right lane but I don't want to be a total speed bump.

Any input will be appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

WolfHunter32

Well I just read the rules and I'm sorry I posted the link to the guys Craigslist ad. Anyway here is what he's description says Hes asking 5200.. 1984 Chevrolet K5 M1009 CUCV 4x4. Ex - US Military K5 Blazer w/ 6.2L diesel. Converted to 12V system. Comes with extra alternator and radio antenna mounts. Push button glow plug conversion, new Goodyear Wrangler tires last year, blackout drive lights still in place, rears just not reinstalled at this time with the rear shackles. Rubber rhino lining type coating on entire floor. 4x4 shifter on floor with locking factory Chevy front hubs. Transmission rebuilt as well about a year ago. Clear title.

Last edited:

Al Harvey

Welcome to the site. First you will notice that MWMULES removed your link, posting links to ads that aren't personally yours isn't allowed. The 6.2L motors aren't bad to work on, they aren't the strongest diesel ever but they will pull the truck down the road just fine. The 12V conversion shouldn't be a major concern for what your wanting it for. It will actually make some parts easier to get a hold of, like the starter. The glow plug system on these trucks turns on and off via the glow plug card. If that goes bad, many people just install a button that when you hold it down, the glow plugs heat up. If the WAIT light still works you just hold the button when it's on, if not then hold it for like 10 seconds when the truck is cold, shouldn't need the plugs when the motor is warm. The factory pintel is set up for towing trailers with a pintel hook up, though someone might have converted that one to a pintel/ball set up. Just be aware that the 6.2L isn't the best pulling motor if you are wanting to tow a large trailer, it can be done as many members have towed large loads, just not recommended.

There is an A/C kit available for the CUCV, though if yours it 12v you might be able to get just a K5 kit for it. Radio and speakers is only limited by your skill. They are loud trucks, you should test drive it to see if it's gonna be too loud for you and your family. You could add some sound deadening if you want to get the noise down. The M1009 will run 70 with no issues.

Good luck with your decision.

That pintel is set up to be able to pull a regular trailer, should be a 2" ball on it.

Last edited:

lonewolf90

m1009 can run highway speeds with ease they have 3.08 gearing the m1008 can not because of the axle gearing 4.56. I use my m1008 for my daily driver last 2 years with no real problems just the common stuff found on here. I did the doghead relay mod and that's it. Been a great truck. Mine is still 24v I was going to switch it over to 12 but after taking the time to learn the system it's extremely easy to work on. The glow plug card are famous to stop working in this trucks mine did it is a different system than the civilian trucks. It prolly just needs a new glow plug card they are located under the dash. Hope my little info helps. There are guys on here that know a lot more than me. Put welcome to ss.

lonewolf90

m1009 can run highway speeds with ease they have 3.08 gearing the m1008 can not because of the axle gearing 4.56. I use my m1008 for my daily driver last 2 years with no real problems just the common stuff found on here. I did the doghead relay mod and that's it. Been a great truck. Mine is still 24v I was going to switch it over to 12 but after taking the time to learn the system it's extremely easy to work on. The glow plug card are famous to stop working in this trucks mine did it is a different system than the civilian trucks. It prolly just needs a new glow plug card they are located under the dash. Hope my little info helps. There are guys on here that know a lot more than me. Put welcome to ss.

WolfHunter32

Awesome, thanks for the great info and the welcome guys. On the towing issue I really won't be trying to pull too much just a utility trailer with at most a side by side. My dad and I may try to go take a look at it in a few days. What do you think about the price?

lonewolf90

I pull a 16 foot tandem trailer with my truck with no problems with 2 atvs plus gear. I love my truck they are very simple to work on to. I like the 6.2 diesel I live in michigan the last two winters have been very cold -30 with out the windchill and it starts right up I'm installing a block heater before this winter so it's not so hard on it.

lonewolf90

I didn't see the price put here the m1009 go for 3000 or more in rougher shale than that one. The only place I can go by is a military surplus store where I got my truck. My dad orginaly bought it for 5200 it was rust free and in great shape.

welpro222

5200 seems a little steep, but its a "what the buyer is willing to pay and hard to find" market on these. Looks nice from the pictures.

Check points:

Hold glow plug switch (button) for 12 seconds and start up. It should start up fairly easy if outside temp is above 40 degrees.

See how it idles cold and warmed up.

Remove oil cap when warm and see if there is any blow by smoke, very little is fine.

Check for leaks at the injector pump when running

There should be no smoke from exhaust when warmed up. A little black smoke from revving up or accelerating is fine.

The 6.2 diesel sounds like a diesel at idle, but above idle it will sounds more like a gas engine. Listen for any knocking that gets louder as you rev it up alittle.

Another tip: Make sure the seller doesn't have it warmed already when you get there.

Last edited:

welpro222

It should also start very easily (quick) when warmed up, no glow plugs needed.

Also, pop the cap on the radiator overflow tank and check for bubbles when running. Check radiator when cold, and make sure fluid looks green and clean.

Last edited:

lonewolf90

Northern Michigan sucks for trucks if it's got the little word diesel motor they would not budge on the price when my dad bought it. But it had zero rust and for a truck in michigan that alone will add value to something that old. Crazy I know.

WolfHunter32

Awesome info guys. That was going to be my next post to ask what to look for when I go and look at it. Hopefully Monday or Tuesday I can go check it out. Unfortunately I'm on all weekend working. Unless I try to go in the evening after I get off work, but I don't want to look at in the dark.

welpro222

I have been driving my m1008 for about a month daily now. I have been driving 6.2 diesel rigs for over 4 years, 1x engine rebuild, 2x head gasket jobs, 3x injector pump jobs, and many other things.

welpro222

I've never driven a cucv m1009, but the m1008 is a bumpy/noisy beast. I do have a civi k5 with a 700r4 and 3.08 gearing and it rides nice. 4th gear or overdrive is almost not needed with 3.08 gearing, but at 70mph you'll most likely hear the engine.

lonewolf90

Every day I do for the last 2 years I average 13 14 mpgs in my m1008. Got some gaskets that are leaking a little bit now but it's almost 30 years old. It's a noisy ride but I came to liking the sound of the 6.2. Would not trade the truck for nothing. Best vehicle I have owned. I want to put in a 6.5 turbo diesel when the motor pukes. I don't see that happen for a while. No smoke when warmed up and driving runs strong. I take it for a 120 mile round trip to atv trails north of me every other weekend and 24 miles round trip to work and back never left me on the side of the road.

Last edited:

lonewolf90

Parts are easy to find. Autozone, Advancedauto, napa they all have parts for the motors. They are really easy to work on. The parts can get pricy it's a diesel so injectors I seen run about 49.99+ a piece and the injection pumps are 800 with a core charge. That's just what I seen. Correct me if I'm wrong

WolfHunter32

How often can those things go out? I know some of this is repetitive but this will be my primary vehicle and I can borrow a vehicle from my family if i have to but I don't want to if i can help it. I'm also trying to gather as much info as I can before I make the decision to or not to get it. Thanks again guys.