• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Possible new owner

Chris H

It's been a while since I've been here but I may have found my lmtv. It's got a box and is clean and complete. It's a 1994 was put into service in 1996
My questions are:
What does it cost to regear these for better highway speeds/lower rpms?
What size tires and what are the best all terrains for these things? It needs tires
What are the best batteries?
Thanks

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the Goodyear MV/T tires are a good option. The Michelin XZL's are nice but harder to find in my area.

Others can can comment on re-gearing, but I've seen costs from 900/axle to well over $3K. It kind of depends on the availability of 3rd members from scrap MRAP axles.

NAPA carries batteries that are a direct replacement. Or some have found much less costly options at WalMart. My 6TL from NAPA was $200 and I got it on a 20% off sale, so not too bad. I'll look up that PN. Wait maybe I have it in photo form...

IMG_4468.jpgIMG_4469.jpgIMG_4470.jpg

Chris H

Thanks TNriverjet.
So you have to have spare parts from another lmtv to do a regear?
Batteries look good. I'll check out the tires.
Also what are good replacement seats for these? Pretty much anything? I need to have highback seats.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, the gears come from MRAP axles. The axles are made by the same manufacturer and the center sections will swap to the LMTV fairly easily. There is a good thread for you to read here:

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?126883-FMTV-High-Speed-Gears&highlight=high+speed+gears

It is long but takes you through most of what you'll need to know. There are some nuances here... for example, a 6x6 truck (FMTV) hasn't yet been successfully swapped in this manner because the forward axle in the rear set has something different about the way the chunk goes in. It has to do with the driveline going on through to the rear axle and may be reverse rotation or something of that nature. Anyway, a 1078 or 1079 truck that is 4x4 will swap pretty easy. The rear is easiest. The fronts are a bit more involved due to steering axle makeup.

There is info in the thread above about where to source the scrapped MRAP axles. Please read all the way through as information has changed on sourcing since the thread was originally started.

utahpow

Regarding the re-gear:

You can also text/call Bryce per the thread referenced and he will give you a quote and when he'll be in your area for the parts + installation service, or the cost for parts only shipped to you - (772) 828-6829

When I chatted with him on Sept 2, he had trucks in AZ, CA, and CO he was going to, to do a parts + install service. Expect $2250 per axle, but you can confirm yourself. If you do have Bryce provide parts and install, he told me that all I need to provide is a place to work and oil.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks