• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Possible power inverter under radio rack?

Hey guys, I'm new here, but know how to use forums to get the information I need by using the "SEARCH" feature. Just thought I'd throw that out there...

As I understand the wires that go into the box under the radio rack is run off of the 24v system. I did a search to try to find my answers and the results that came up weren't really what I'm trying to figure out. All of the ones I came up with are people trying to wire in a 12v power inverter or a cigarette lighter into a 24v system... NOT trying to install an inverter AFTER performing the Dual 12v Isolated conversion Anywho, here goes....

The box underneath the radio rack is 24v from what I understand. But if I've made the conversion to 12v already, did the cables just become 12v? or are they still magically 24v? I'm asking because I am trying to plug in some electronics, (what I THINK is) the easy way.

If anyone has already posted a write-up on this, and I just failed to find it, I apologize. But help will be greatly appreciated.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Wouldn't a V.O.M. tell you what the voltage would be? Sounds like it should be 12v, but a voltage check that takes all of 8 seconds should put any debate to rest.

uscgmatt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That power block in the back is fed from the 24 volt power block under the hood. If you converted the truck to 12 volt only meaning you rewired how the alternators charge, and how the batteries are wired. Then yes it will be 12 volt. I suggest you get a multimeter as it will make owning a m1009 alot easier.

mistaken1

And if it is 12V then you can use the positive and negative bus to power an inverter. I highly recommend either a fusible link or a fuse between the bus and your inverter.

Thanks guys, great info! I actually had a FLUKE 77 DVM on me and it is 12v thank goodness. That takes a LOT of pain away from installing that inverter with the supplied 2' of cable. To install a fuse in line to the inverter do I put it on the positive side?

mistaken1

Thanks guys, great info! I actually had a FLUKE 77 DVM on me and it is 12v thank goodness. That takes a LOT of pain away from installing that inverter with the supplied 2' of cable. To install a fuse in line to the inverter do I put it on the positive side?
Yes. You can add one to the negative side as well but definitely on the positive side.