• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Possible Support Needed for Road Trip

Lawrence of Arabia

Picking up my 1980 International from Oxnard, CA. Wed June 11th and driving back to MI. Anyone along the route available for any help on a break down would be greatly appreciated. Truck has 4,000 original miles and has been serviced at the International dealer locally, but you never know what may happen on the 2300 mile trip back to MI. Attached is my trip. Thanks to anyone that may be there to offer help or guidance.

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck with your recovery. If you have issues post here and we will attempt to help out.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I've bought a lot of oddball stuff from GL but I got to ask.......what are you going to do with that?

jeez loiuse, put on your thinking cap!

How do you expect a man to clean his gutters? Prune the tall bushes? Get an apple for his kid? Get the neighbor's cat out of the tree? Get the kid's rubber band airplane off the roof? Look at the sunbathing neighbor next door? Put the dog on the roof so he can post funny pictures on Facebook? Win a snowball fight by having the high ground?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WM is a little slow Clinto. You had at least one use I'd go for. ;-)

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
jeez loiuse, put on your thinking cap!

How do you expect a man to clean his gutters? Prune the tall bushes? Get an apple for his kid? Get the neighbor's cat out of the tree? Get the kid's rubber band airplane off the roof? Look at the sunbathing neighbor next door? Put the dog on the roof so he can post funny pictures on Facebook? Win a snowball fight by having the high ground?
I always suspected you may have a perverted side.:clinto:

Artisan

Sub'd.
If your in a bind post up here.
I will help if possible.
I would LOVE to have 1ademtoo!
I am near the 605 and 210 fwys.

Lawrence of Arabia

Picked up the truck from the dealer that serviced it for me. Got to my first hill and it struggled miserably to make and then got hot. The truck drove, but definitely would not make it through the mountains. I opted to drive to Phoenix and work on it at a relatives house. We mad it almost 450 miles throughout 110 degree heat and 60 miles outside Phoenix the water pump let loose and puked out all the colony. Long story short, I towed it to some old mexican dudes house in the middle of the desert. He was surrounded by semi trucks, diesel motors and heavy equipment working under nothing but a car port. Said he could fix it and would call me when it was worthy to drive back to MI. I would not have felt comfortable doing so but he was recommended by a good friend in AZ. Also my good friend is a Maricopa County Sheriff. Looks like I will be flying back out there to try and drive it home again, but not sure when. All in all I still got a heck of a deal on the truck and it will be well worth all the trouble.

Lawrence of Arabia

Heading back out Nov. 28th to pick it up. The old Mexican dude put a water pump and 2 pulleys on it. Pulled and cleaned fuel tank and blew out all the fuel lines free of rust and garbage. Only charged $600.00. Oh and didn't charge me for the truck sitting at his yard for 3 months. Anyone needs diesel service in Phoenix, I would highly recommend him.

Lawrence of Arabia

2000 Miles and I'm home!

Bucket Truck.jpg
Made it back at 4AM this morning. Quick run down of trip.

Sunday 9:30AM: Left Phoenix and made it to Santa Rosa, NM. Stopped at 11PM after 600Miles
Thought I had a blown differential seal and one axle seal but turns out the hydraulics were leaking on pinion making it look like it was leaking.

Monday 8:30AM: Started truck up to warm up in Santa Rosa and it quit running and would not crank. Road service guy found a loose nut on battery stud on firewall. Charged me a $100.00.
Had to stop in a weight station in OK where I was fined $375.00 for not having a "fuel permit" and registration for my "In Transit" tag. Stopped at gas station for 2 hours and called DOT permit hotline and paid another $269.00 for fuel and trip permits for all the other states I had to travel through.
Got just outside of Oklahoma City and lost my alternator/water pump belts. Coasted into a closed service station. Owner was inside and called O'reillys and they delivered me 2 belts. Got them on and back on the road. Stopped in Tulsa at 11PM after 550 Miles.

Tuesday: :Left Tulsa at 8:30AM and decided to drive all the way through to Michigan. 900 miles. Got home this morning at 4AM. Going to get a massage now to work the lumps out of my back and rump.

Oh did I mention I had my 70 year old Mother with me all along the way. She celebrated her 70th Birthday on the second day of our trip.
Also, after all the B.S. of paying for "fuel permits" and getting registration sent to me, I only stopped in one out of 5 weight stations as the rest were closed.

Lawrence of Arabia

Good luck with your trip. What aerial unit is on it? Its a big one. Ive spent last 26 years working on bucket trucks/digger derricks etc.
Its a 65' Teco with only 476 Hours on it. Fiberglass booms and bucket are spotless. I work on them as well. This will be a nice rental unit when done. I will post pics when I'm done sprucing her up.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry to hear about your time at the weighstation.

Wish I could have helped out with anything in Oklahoma City or bought your Mom a birthday meal.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks