• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Possible Upgrade for A3? 3176 cat( 330 hp )

smoke

Hi guys and gals
I'm a newbie.I been on here reading up on the topics. My question is would a 3176 cat .( I do believe it was for 5 ton group) that was what it said in auction preview anyway. fit in a A3? I do believe it is same liters as 3116 7.2. But rated at 330 hp.(256kw) compared to 170 hp 3116. I thought would a big improvement in Hp. Plus it would make the A2 guys and gals :drool::drool: because they couldn't keep up.lol I don't have anything right now on fence about what to get A2 or A3. A buddy of mine has A2 that I helped get running. But i like the ideal of power steering ( i'm not getting any younger) and not having a stick( I had 96 dodge I put 346000 miles on it. it was 5spd the syukill expressway killed me in traffic everyday When she finally give up the ghost I replaced her with 01 automatic) But it not going to be everyday truck so I guess could handle stick. Sorry I'm rambling on and on.

So what do you think will it work? Maybe 3176 and for A2 guys put a stick behind it for the overdrive.

Nonotagain

The 3116 CAT's big brother is the 3126 rated at 330 hp.

Without doing some research, I think you might have miss-read the nomenclature.

While HP is nice, the A3 is limited not by HP but RPM.

CatMan

3176 Cat

The 3176 is a much larger engine the the 3116 and 3126. The 3176 is a 10 liter displacement engine. 3(1.7 liter per cylinder X)6.

It is also an electronic engine. The 3116 in the A3 is mechnanical. So a repower will require much more than mechanical linkage and some skinned knuckles. It would require a different Air To Air Aftercooler, larger radiator, larger air intake system and deutsch electrical interface connections for all the engine functions, like start stop, trottle position signal etc. Then you'll need a lap top computer with the Cat Electronic Technician (ET) software and interface in order to program the engine parameters you need. The 3176 was also intended to interface with an electronic transmission control which the Allison in the M35A3's is not.

I engineered electronic engines into OEM equipment for a living and would advise it's not worth the trouble for a single repower. The good old days of just swapping mechanical engines is coming to a close. Transplanting modern electronic engines can be done but you'll need more resources than you have working in your driveway.

Cat Man

eldgenb

the a3 is pretty darn nice just the way it is, I would do it as a replacement if needed but not for a generic swap, I would think that the trans and maybe transfer case would be the weak link behind that one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks