• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Possible weak in tank pump?

toddm

I changed the primary and secondary filters on my Duece today. Tried to prime the system and no luck, the in tank pump does pump fuel but I am wondering if it is not enough flow. I did open the valve between the secondary filters but still no luck. How long should it take to fill the filters anyways? I got fuel in the primary but none makes it to the secondaries. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Todd

poppop

I would think if it pumps any at all it should be OK. I have three trucks that the pumps don't work at all and they run fine. Two of them if they sit for quite a while it takes extra cranking time to get them started but then they crank right up. You may have an obstruction somewhere that is restricting flow. You can put a little compressed air in the tank to force fuel to the filters, just don't put to much or you could rupture the tank. There also could be crude in the bottom of the tank that is blocking the inlet to the pump.

toddm

I'm pretty much done for today, but tomorrow I'll check for kinks and obstructions in the lines and then I'll remove the in tank pump and look at the inlet. Thanks Todd

poppop

If the compressed air won't push it then there has to be a blockage somewhere. It could be a rubber line thats bad on the inside. Usually this is a problem when the fuel pump is mounted on the engine and sucking fuel from the tank. I can see where a flap could be torn loose in the other direction and when the pump pushes fuel the flap seals the line.

toddm

I pulled the pump out this afternoon and the plate on the bottom was falling off. I worked it back into position and had more fuel pumping out than I could handle. I was able to prime the system easily and start the truck, now to get one of the pesky secondary cans to seal. Thanks Todd

I would have taken a picture but my hands were full of diesel and no one else was home. I think I would be dead if I touched our camera at that time!

JuicyDeuce

I think mine is doing the same. I'm going to try that removing the in tank pump.

Do i have to replace any kind of gasket when i pull the in tank pump off the tank or do i just remove the screws at the top and pull it out and put it back in?

Also, what do you guys think of the OD Iron LDS/LDT external fuel pump, anyone using that product with good results?

JuicyDeuce

quick question, what is the fitting sticking out of the front of the hydraulic head with two lines on top and bottom? Are they return lines? If so which is the main return line?