• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Possibly acquiring a M931A1. Feedback..?

MatthewWBailey

Father, Husband and Barn Hermit
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm looking at an '86 M931A1 on FB that the seller is calling a "M921A1 former tractor rig"
W/42k miles for $11k.
it's been frankensteined a bit but given the low price motivation and close location, maybe I could enter 6x6 world.
But With the older Nhc250, is this a waste of time or workable machine? It would be a parade queen but certainly OHV mud smashing too. I'd have to acquire a real 900 series cargo bed or fab something. Any advice is golden🙏..

2F6210B6-F075-4659-86C6-0744BFFB3C9E.jpeg

MatthewWBailey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did he extend the frame too? That’s longer than a 931.
Yes his description says
"1986 M921 originally a tractor rig
NH250 Non-turbo
Allison 5 speed transmission
Professional frame extension and trailer bed added. Bed is set up with two aluminum benches for passenger seating.
All brake diaphragms professionally replaced. Starts, drives and stops amazing.
7- Goodyear 14X20 tires
8- Hemet wheels
All fluids changed when purchased. Both rv 5th wheel hitch and trailer receiver mounted in rear. Will need: front axle boots, fuel gauge works intermittently, windshield wiper valve replacement
"

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes his description says
"1986 M921 originally a tractor rig
NH250 Non-turbo
Allison 5 speed transmission
Professional frame extension and trailer bed added. Bed is set up with two aluminum benches for passenger seating.
All brake diaphragms professionally replaced. Starts, drives and stops amazing.
7- Goodyear 14X20 tires
8- Hemet wheels
All fluids changed when purchased. Both rv 5th wheel hitch and trailer receiver mounted in rear. Will need: front axle boots, fuel gauge works intermittently, windshield wiper valve replacement
"
Those aren't HEMTT rims.

14.00s are getting scarce. I'd choose 16.00s or 395's, and those look like 395s.

Changing brake diaphragms is pretty trivial.

The boots are no big deal.

That's an M105 bed.

I like truck tractors with a 12' bed and truck tractor length frame. They look proportional like that. This one looks awkward.

ODAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What are your plans for the truck?

If you just want to drive it as is, it looks like you're good to go with the minor fixes described above.

Otherwise, you've bought in to a lot of work to get the truck back to a semblance of originality. In the haze of infatuation and apparent cheap price, that work almost always takes much more time and money than what you're thinking.

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Haha, I guess that is true. Just wasn’t 100% sure as I haven’t seen the truck in about a decade, but know they still own it. It is a well taken care of truck, I have ridden in it and serviced it myself. If I remember correctly they bolted on the frame extension.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those aren't HEMTT rims.

14.00s are getting scarce. I'd choose 16.00s or 395's, and those look like 395s.

That's an M105 bed.

I like truck tractors with a 12' bed and truck tractor length frame. They look proportional like that. This one looks awkward.

The front rim is definitely a FMTV/LMTV and I also think they are 395's on the front.
Pic angle makes it look like the rear could be 14's. Doesn't look the same height.
Probably someone not informed fully but not trying to deceive. YMMV
Truck is cool and definitely worth considering. I would consider finding a bed to replace the M105 trailer bed.
The rear add on frame is growing on me and could be a platform on the rear of a new bed. I also like the steps in it.

My .012 is go for it if it drives well with no leaks or issues on a test drive.

MatthewWBailey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What are your plans for the truck?

If you just want to drive it as is, it looks like you're good to go with the minor fixes described above.

Otherwise, you've bought in to a lot of work to get the truck back to a semblance of originality. In the haze of infatuation and apparent cheap price, that work almost always takes much more time and money than what you're thinking.
I was thinking that. Seems like I'll be doing a month of steel work to bring the rest back up to looking good.

MatthewWBailey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those aren't HEMTT rims.

That's an M105 bed.

Here's other pics of the wheels. Seems like tire musical chairs

B86811BE-021E-4F14-AA2D-9733B1B988CA.jpegEBD109E5-8175-4BA8-8865-7E3F0C7E231A.jpeg

MatthewWBailey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's an A2 local I'm going to go look at tomorrow instead. Close enough to test drive.
View attachment 921583View attachment 921585
I saw this unit this Sunday. Only 16.9k miles. New tires. Fired right up after 6months of sitting. He's got a 24v to 12v converter on the back to run generic 5th wheel trailers. All in All a sweet rig. Luckily I don't have 15k to give him bc this is an addictive looking vehicle in person. Someone buy it please before I have to go back to rehab.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks