• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Possibly buying an M1009 and have a question

mikey

I'm looking at buying an 85 M1009. The seller states that occasionally when put in 4wd it pops out while driving. Occasionally, but not always. He thought it might be the hubs so he replaced them, but the issue still occurs sometimes.

I have absolutely no experience with CUCV's, but I'm thinking the issue is probably the transfer case, not the differential.

I know it's impossible to diagnose without having the truck and I've searched these forums but found nothing. I'd like to get an idea of what I'd be getting into if I bought this CUCV.

So, for those of you with experience with CUCV's, what do you think? Has anyone else had a similar problem popping out of 4wd? If so, what was the issue?

Thanks

Mikey

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No experience with CUCVs, but when my 06 Dodge Ram did that, the Transfer Case was shot, thankfully replaced under warranty. But it was the same thing. Put it in 4WD, was going through some sand, touch the brakes and it'd pop out and into 2WD. Diagnosed it before I went to Iraq and had my buddy bring it by the dealership when I was gone. Thankfully I had paid for a warranty when I bought it, and it covered the entire procedure.

Ilikemtb999

Sounds like the fork bushings in the T case. 208's (and t cases in general) are fairly easy to rebuild if you're mechanically inclined. They're also not super expensive to just buy another and swap. You could also swap to an np241 and get a lower low range while you're at it.

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with Ilikemtb999. Tcase is not hard to replace or rebuild. If that is the only problem and rest of truck in good shape I wouldn't be afraid to get it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks