• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Possibly No More Trucks from DLA

Status
Not open for further replies.

bchauvette

I have personally inspected the engine ID plates on the NHC250 and the 8.3 6CTA Cummins engines and both stated that these engine were compliant with EPA regulations for date of manufacture. Now I can't say about the Detroit diesels or the Cat engines. How about someone get eyes on those ID tags and chime in.
Look all over the engine. where might I find the tag on a M944A1 w/NHC250.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We re-opened this thread with the hopes that it wouldn't fill up with speculation about invading Canada (eh), Chile or anywhere else for that matter. If you have concrete information like real government e-mails or docs or factual links by all means share.

Otherwise be prepared to have any drivel deleted and if it gets bad enough you may get a point from the system.

Please keep it civil and on target. Please

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fact is the EPA can do anything they wish as long as they can get the DLA to go along with it. It doesn't really matter if the tag does say "EPA compliant at time of manufacture". These vehicles belong to the government and they can do whatever with them they choose.

Jeepsinker

Thing is, you won't find a tag on a caterpillar engine that says that anymore, and on any of these trucks that are really in question. We know the 5 tons should come back, this has happened before, GL is just playing it safe right now. And that should be expected. If any of us were in charge of it all, we would do the same thing they did if we were smart. They are only doing what they have been ordered to do.

maxxplanck

Thanks everyone for the info. And great updates, now I do have some closure on the issue. I'm thankful for my two 5-tons, but I still have that sick feeling in my stomach as if I lost someone...... Hopefully someday we will have some good news in the future about the MVs. Everyone have a great independence day !

P.S. I'v never seen my wife so happy as the day I received that email from GL about he sale of MVs, LOL

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess no one reads. Reread post #146. If you have nothing official to post stop speculating and posting drivel

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:

I have had two conversations with an EPA official in Washington DC since the trucks were pulled, one the day after the sales were stopped and one today (not too sure how far up the food chain he was).

I was on my best Public Affairs Supervisor behavior and we had a civil conversation both times. He has emailed me some stuff and if a mod PM's me the OK I'll copy and paste them here.

There are several ways this can play out and as Brother Clinto pointed out we need to find out what DoD intends to do with the vehicles that are left in the system before we go off half cocked.

I did let the EPA guy know that there was going to be a lot of resistance to this from many sources and he agreed that the fire anthill has been kicked over.

425LRS

The EPA fought this battle with the US Army, and the US Army lost. Hence the death of the multifuel engine....
Actually the Army didn't lose- they have exemptions for their engines due to the fact they run JP8 predominantly. JP8 spec does not control the sulfur content - thus making it incompatible with the emissions control equipment currently available for the diesel engines. So selling vehicles that had a military exemption to the civilian market may be the problem.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Actually the Army didn't lose- they have exemptions for their engines due to the fact they run JP8 predominantly. JP8 spec does not control the sulfur content - thus making it incompatible with the emissions control equipment currently available for the diesel engines. So selling vehicles that had a military exemption to the civilian market may be the problem.
There is a backstory to this: The EPA had been giving the Army (well, the military in general) exemptions for the multifuel for years and finally they said "no more exemptions, you have X years to replace it, so you better buy as many now as you think you'll need". This is why about 90% of the multifuels you see in trucks are all from 1988-1989.

So although they do issue exemptions, there is a limit to them. And the end of the multifuel exemption pushed them into the M44A3 series.

iatractor

If and when the time comes that we need to get our elected officials involved,(not yet) it would be prudent of us to perhaps have a "canned" draft to send to them. My experience in dealing with them is that they need the email short, what the real issue is, who is involved, the impacts, and what the elected official is needed for. They need us to do some legwork first and sending them correspondence with something like "darn epa won't let the military sell us trucks" will not get us anywhere. Continuity, uniformity, and clarity are needed. Remember, our correspondence is being read by the staffers, and we are competing for time along thousands of other causes. Like some of the other posts stated, let's see where this plays out before we go half-cocked to the elected ones. Plus that gives us some time to see where the real issue lays instead of where we think it lays.

123mack

I agree, iatractor. I think one key point to be covered is economic impact. For every big player ( Memphis. TNJ Murray, etc) there are many small operations, potentially effecting thousans of jobs. Jobs are usually a good card to play with a politician, especially in an election year.

Artisan

This video is another key point, hopefully someone can edit this video into
something short less the advertisements. If there are more Johnny Do Good
videos for MV trucks they should all be complied into one or a list all
can copy.

Here is a 5Ton during hurricane Arthur getting an in-labor mom-to-be thru

the storm surge and on to the hospital

http://www.weather.com/video/hurric...-weaken-48999?collid=/news/weather-hurricanes

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Pumps and generators they are non road use items. Brand new pumps and generators don't have any emissions regulations why would it matter for used ones? Seems kind of far reaching. There has to be more to it. For the EPA to just decide this something must have happened or an order come down from above. The next town over from me still has a coal burning power plant you don't see them running over there.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
thay are all gone becuase of the EPA enforcing an agreement between them and TACOM. EPA is havign a hissy fit over the emmission stuff since DoD is exepemt from them normally.

They've stopped MRAPs from going to PDs and it looks like they will stop gen sets and pumps as well.

I've seen the emails coming out of GSA. It's not GLs fault and GSA and DLA are trying to keep some people in the loop about it. they have even thought about trucks in private hands.

Had a post about it earlier today but it got deleted, even after I gave a mod a 12 hour lead and no reply.
Amazing the number of people that don't bother to read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks