• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Post Engine Oil Cooler Change - Starting Problem

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last week I finished changing out the engine oil cooler on a 2007 M1151A1. I also drained the trans fluid and installed a new trans pan. I followed the TM procedure(s) and completed an initial top off of the engine oil and trans fluid. My batteries are 6TL's, less than a year old, and each measure 13.0 volts on the multimeter. Battery connections were confirmed correct and tight. No other maintenance was performed on the truck. Turning the start switch to the middle position illuminated the wait light along with a discharge (needle in the yellow) indication on the gauge. I attempted to start when the wait light extinguished and heard the bendix on the starter engage, what sounded like an attempt by the starter to turn, but the motor would not turn over. Could my draining the transmission fluid have caused the TCM to think the truck was not in park and therefore would not start? Any other ideas? I'm hesitant to attempt another start without some input.
Thanks!

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What voltage do the batteries read while you are trying to crank over the engine?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last week I finished changing out the engine oil cooler on a 2007 M1151A1. I also drained the trans fluid and installed a new trans pan. I followed the TM procedure(s) and completed an initial top off of the engine oil and trans fluid. My batteries are 6TL's, less than a year old, and each measure 13.0 volts on the multimeter. Battery connections were confirmed correct and tight. No other maintenance was performed on the truck. Turning the start switch to the middle position illuminated the wait light along with a discharge (needle in the yellow) indication on the gauge. I attempted to start when the wait light extinguished and heard the bendix on the starter engage, what sounded like an attempt by the starter to turn, but the motor would not turn over. Could my draining the transmission fluid have caused the TCM to think the truck was not in park and therefore would not start? Any other ideas? I'm hesitant to attempt another start without some input.
Thanks!
ummm, no…that’s not a feature of any transmission

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update....
Rechecked all battery connections and the voltages. Decided to try another start and the starter operated normally and the engine fired right up. Not sure why it wouldn't turn the motor over the first time. Cranked several more times to re-top off fluid levels and to test drive. No other problems noted with the starter. Thank you for the input and I apologize for the inconvenience. Nothing more to see here.