• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Post what is needed to Title an FMTV as an RV in YOUR state.

Gunny 0369

Marine Gunnery Sergeant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone know how NC works

Redman333, Ive registered my LMTVs/MTVs as House cars.... NC version of a Motor Home. Take the title and paperwork into a state inspectors office, (usually along side the Lic DMV offices) The State Patrol will:
1. Inspect your truck, to assure you are a real RV... (All the above criteria is the same,)
2. Issue a form that states so,
3. You then take it to the Lic office, and re-title your (truck) title to a (HC) title, and your done.
Once you have the vehicle re titled as a HC, they will issue HC, (RV) tags, and your set, they will give you the tags the same day, and title in 1 week.

Fairly easy to do, just dont drive in with a tarped flat bed with a 5 gal bucket toilet and a cot in back, that wont fly with the inspectors.

Cheers

redman333

Anyone know how NC works

Redman333, Ive registered my LMTVs/MTVs as House cars.... NC version of a Motor Home. Take the title and paperwork into a state inspectors office, (usually along side the Lic DMV offices) The State Patrol will:
1. Inspect your truck, to assure you are a real RV... (All the above criteria is the same,)
2. Issue a form that states so,
3. You then take it to the Lic office, and re-title your (truck) title to a (HC) title, and your done.
Once you have the vehicle re titled as a HC, they will issue HC, (RV) tags, and your set, they will give you the tags the same day, and title in 1 week.

Fairly easy to do, just dont drive in with a tarped flat bed with a 5 gal bucket toilet and a cot in back, that wont fly with the inspectors.

Cheers
Thanks for the info. Hey do you have that big rig in your profile here in NC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19Detail

Vermont
I went in to the DMV with the Bill of Sale from GovPlanet. I registered it as a truck and picked the weight I wanted to register it as (progressively more for each higher bracket). I paid $480ish for 21,000lbs GVW and walked out with plates. No title is required or given since mine was over 20 years old.

Insurance was easy once they got by the fact that it was a big military truck.

I had to take out a personal loan to buy it initially because there is no Bluebook value for it. They said I can change that to an auto loan if i get a third party appraisal of it. I have not done that yet. First bank said they wanted no part of it.

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is the definition of 'Motor-home' that applies to our conversions in the Great State of Nevada!

"NRS 482.0151  “Chassis-mount camper” defined.  “Chassis-mount camper” means a portable unit designed to be permanently affixed to a truck chassis and cab, and so constructed as to provide temporary living quarters for travel, camping or recreational use. (Added to NRS by 1973, 229)

And this:

NRS 482.071  “Motor home” defined.  “Motor home” means a structure: 1.  Attached permanently to a self-propelled motor vehicle chassis; 2.  Designed as a temporary dwelling for travel, recreational or camping use; and 3.  When assembled for the road, has a maximum body width of 102 inches. (Added to NRS by 1973, 229; A 2001, 1725)
102" is 8.75'. Not sure what happens when we go wider than that, but my build will not. Good to know though... :recovry4x4:

We drove our truck home from Pennsylvania. I had a clear title in hand. Drove it to the DMV in Carson City and presented it at the inspection area. The inspector was a vet and went nuts over it. After making sure all the blinky things blinked, and the hooter hooted, I went in and finished the paperwork. They registered it at the lowest value as they were unable to establish an MSRP. I think I pay $226 a year with a commercial plate. Once the hab is on, it will be changed to a motor-home and I will get a break in costs.

Nevada... I love this place!

Pointman

Last edited:

Crapgame

No inspections? I tried to get insurance via Progressive but they wouldn't cover it, but going to Progressive Commercial Insurance I got as quote of about $1100/yr as a commercial vehicle. My concern is they won't pay out if something happens and they discover I don't own a business.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No inspections? I tried to get insurance via Progressive but they wouldn't cover it, but going to Progressive Commercial Insurance I got as quote of about $1100/yr as a commercial vehicle. My concern is they won't pay out if something happens and they discover I don't own a business.
It’s not about commercial use or not, but rather weight. Progressive I believe puts commercial policy on anything over 16k gvwr commercial use or not. When I got my insurance I asked many questions and that’s what I remember.

coachgeo

It’s not about commercial use or not, but rather weight. Progressive I believe puts commercial policy on anything over 16k gvwr commercial use or not. When I got my insurance I asked many questions and that’s what I remember.
That is how it was explained to me as well. It is just a classification name... that really has nothing to do with being part of a business. my guess is it started that way long ago, but the Ins. industry redefined what falls in the that class and just never changed the name.

Last edited:

99nouns

Did you tell them it is a yard ornament and you only put 100 +/- miles a year on it?

Aernan

Technically all pick up trucks are Commercial vehicles because they could be used "for hire". As in hey man could you help me move my apartment and I'll get you some gas money and beer all the way up to hauling loads. It does not mean you need to have a regular business or anything. Also you can work for yourself as a business (contractor) without filing any paperwork. I have done it professionally in Engineering for years and the IRS is cool with it. So don't sweat it. Best to get a detailed policy. I have mine through progressive and it's pretty cheap. I got a very detailed policy and can call and modify it easily. The sales rep even told me per-price add on for all the options. I have optional medical in case I hurt myself while repairing or operating the thing. :)

Strobi1

Virginia

I just got my title changed to "Motor Home" 2 days ago. I never actually found the written requirements and everytime I called DMV the requirements were slightly different, but here goes, you need to have four out of of the list of these items:
On board water storage
Heat that is separate from the vehicle
Bed
Toilet
Area to prepare food
Some form of electricity

I submitted the paperwork including inside and outside photos to the main Richmond office (posted turn around time 3 weeks) 7 weeks later a state trooper came out to inspect and bless the conversion. I hope that helps.

coachgeo

I just got my title changed to "Motor Home" 2 days ago. I never actually found the written requirements and everytime I called DMV the requirements were slightly different, but here goes, you need to have four out of of the list of these items:
On board water storage
Heat that is separate from the vehicle
Bed
Toilet
Area to prepare food
Some form of electricity

I submitted the paperwork including inside and outside photos to the main Richmond office (posted turn around time 3 weeks) 7 weeks later a state trooper came out to inspect and bless the conversion. I hope that helps.
didn't happen without pics or vid :burn::whistle:

coachgeo

is this what you are looking for

sent from my zte a2017u using tapatalk

looks great. Awesome example of how to use a T-trailer as a camper. Hate that the pics will eventually no longer be available. Guaranteed to happen. Every pic. Hosting service in the last 3 decades has only lasted 3-5yrs before switching to a pay to play.. Or just shutting down.

As you can tell... These pics are not actually uploaded to here...... They are hosted by tapatalk. Please do not host pictures via tapatalk or any other picture hosting service. Upload them to this board this helps keep the archives valuable. Your pic is such a good example.... Hate that it will eventually disappear if it stays at tapatalk.

Granted using tapatalk or other hosting service can make for a good intermediary place to stick pictures from tablet or phone to make it easy to then upload them here. Just use the url such as those seen above as the "upload from" url the next time you come onto the full steel soldiers website.

Last edited:

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NEVADA and Insurance.

I also had to get my LMTV insured as a commercial vehicle at $1,000 per year. Thought about hauling firewood just to pay for it. I then found coverage as a classic military with the
folks at Hagerty. I'm set until the hab is installed, then its a RV..

Pointman

Jcluff

Montana requires an inspection by a police officer and submission of an Form MV-95. Vehicle must meet four of these five requirements:

1. Cooking, refrigerator or icebox
2. Potable water supply system, including a faucet and sink
3. Self-contained toilet
4. Heating or air conditioning, or both
5. Separate 110-volt or 125-volt electrical power supply or a liquefied petroleum gas supply, or both

Of note, FMTV's (RV's or not) 11 years or older can be registered (extremely inexpensively) with permanent license plates/registration in MT! No smog, VIN or equipment inspections. There are services online that will handle the entire transaction. There is an extremely high percentage of $1,000,000+ RV's, Ferraris, McLarens, Lamborghinis, etc. with Montana license plates around the country due to ridiculously low tax/registration rates...I see them all the time in Vegas and Socal.
Thanks. Any more info or recs re: agencies to hire? I am in UT and am interested. Thanks

coachgeo

Thanks. Any more info or recs re: agencies to hire? I am in UT and am interested. Thanks
???? that post about Montana so your question is a bit misplaced maybe, or you plan move to Montana?

PS- info in this thread may have changed dramatically since it came about- thread and that post is around 6 years old.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks