• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Posting Pictures

tsmall07

I found this thread due to the handy dandy auto search thingy that popped up, but I have a suggestion, so I figured I'd post in this section of the forum.

Why don't you host a separate "uploader" on the surver such as the one seen here so that people can link to pictures using tags. This would make it easier to insert text in between pictures (longer than a sentence) or after the pictures and would make it easier to order things correctly for proper story telling. I don't know if this is true, but you might be able to filter linked images so they can only come from the proper uploader site. Threads just seem to flow better using this method. [url=http://mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=53907] Here [/url] is an example, even though I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. :wink:

By the way, I just noticed there is several of each smiley in the box to the left. :smile:

mangus580

Not sure if its stated in the other thread.... but we at SS are 'content snobs'

We like all of our images and data to be hosted directly here, so that we dont have to rely on outside sources.

BTW... with all of this new fangled software, maybe I can manage to put comments with the images.

tsmall07

The local content was why I asked if you could filter linked images to only work if they're from the SS upload site. It may not be possible, but it would definitely be cool.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The handling and viewing of uploaded images is pretty cool. I gave that a good thrashing yesterday in test. I can see the dimensions and file sizes are unusual but the image processing and layout after the "first click" looked pretty slick to me, and the "second click", a good idea, shows the full size of the image. I am hopeful of relatively large images being permitted.

tsmall07

The handling and viewing of uploaded images is pretty cool. I gave that a good thrashing yesterday in test. I can see the dimensions and file sizes are unusual but the image processing and layout after the "first click" looked pretty slick to me, and the "second click", a good idea, shows the full size of the image. I am hopeful of relatively large images being permitted.

Large images would depend if the computer has to download the whole picture file when the thread is opened or if it waits until the second click. Mangus, do you know which it is?

mangus580

I'm just about ready to start a build thread on Mah Deuce (I've got about 300 images so far), and I'd REALLY like to be able to post using tags. I usually host all of my images on my own site ([URL="http://www.trailslesstraveled.com"]trails less traveled[/URL]), but I wouldn't mind uploading images to the SS servers. I'd just like to be able to display images inline with the text. Any chance that we might be able to upload images to the SS server, and then get links to where those files are hosted? You know, so then we could use the [img] tags and you'd still have control of the content. I wouldn't even mind if that was a whole separate process, but of course it would be nice if we could do that from the same page where we post.[/QUOTE]

If you look in the 'tips & tricks' forum, there is a way to do inline images with uploaded attachments.

jesusgatos

Wondering what happening with the website updates, and how that might affect image uploading/posting. Finally ready to start a build thread and have hundreds of images to post, and would like to know if the way those are going to be handled is going to change. Thanks in advance.

BLK HMMWV

When you said a tutorial for a Ma deuce build are you refering to the Browning?
If so I'm guessing the powers that be on this site may have issue with it as it is a firearm . I would run it past one of the mod's first.
I would love to see it but I'm just a guest here.
Now if I'm way off and you call your Deuce MA then I'm sorry for wasting band width.
BH

m880 unimog

personally i love the fact that you can dump picture content right out of your pc straight to SS without having to reduce,remote link etc,most remote links are dead withing a few months anyhow.
basically very easy to use head and shoulders above most sites i used to use.

great work admin and mods.

jesusgatos

Was updating my build thread on pirate last night and wanted to link to this thread about the wheels and I noticed two things: 1) non-members can't view pics, and 2) a lot of the pictures I uploaded seem to be missing?

Regarding 1) Is there any reason why non-members can't view pictures? In writing about this project, I've got a lot of content that I'd like to reference on SS, but the non-member = no picture thing makes that kind of difficult. SS is a great technical resource and I'm just wondering if there's any reason why we might need to keep it to ourselves when so many other people might appreciate/benefit from what we have to share.

Regarding 2) I've noticed in the past that if I edit a post with pictures attached, the pictures are deleted and have to be re-uploaded. Don't know if that's why my pictures are missing from the thread I posted a link to, but I don't think so?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks